We are Toco, a company driven by a passion to combat climate change by revolutionising archaic aspects of the global financial system. Our mission is to create a new era of environmental consciousness and action through the introduction of Tocos, a groundbreaking carbon currency. Tocos represents one tonne of carbon dioxide that has been removed from the atmosphere, giving individuals and businesses a tangible way to offset their carbon footprint and contribute to a sustainable future.
At Toco, we believe that traditional political and economic structures have fallen short in addressing the urgent climate crisis. Our innovative approach breaks free from the limitations of the past and empowers people to take climate action into their own hands. By uniting as a civil community, we can redefine the nature of money, challenge conventions, and lead the way where others have failed.
To find out more about Toco, you can watch this video.
Our tech culture
The culture is built around transparency, trust and extreme candour. Our way of working embraces “work-from-anywhere” and responsible leave (i.e. be responsible and take as much leave as you need) whilst encouraging people to have fun and extract meaning from their work; being aligned to the purpose of the company is extremely important to us.
We are a product led company with cross functional teams. From an engineering perspective we want our engineers to be full stack and supported by a platform engineering team to optimise their developer experience and productivity. Lots of trust is extended to engineers to let them grow, experiment, be creative, make mistakes and learn from these. We prefer small teams and aim to keep a very high bar when hiring engineers; we expect engineers both senior and junior to be deep thinkers, adept problem solvers, customer focused, investment minded and know how and when to take a pragmatic vs purist approach.
We are on the search for a talented and motivated Senior Software Engineer with a strong focus on React Native and TypeScript to join our team. In this remote role, you'll work closely with blockchain engineers, product owners, designers, and data engineers to design and develop our climate change-fighting technology platform. You will report directly to the Principal Software Engineer and should ideally be located within a 4-hour range of Central European Time—though we're flexible for the perfect fit.
AWS expertise is a significant advantage for this role, as our platform is built on modern, cloud-based technology stacks. We value open-source contributions and are particularly interested in candidates who share our passion for combating climate change through innovative technology.
Requirements and Responsibilities
- Software development: Participate in the design, development, implementation, documentation and support of complex software systems.
- Collaboration: Work closely with other team members and departments, such as product owners, to meet the company's goals and client needs.
- Code review: Perform code reviews and provide critical suggestions for fixes and improvements.
- Problem solving: Develop solutions for client-centric problems by collaborating with product teams and understanding business requirements.
- Communication: Relay complex information to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Mentorship: Support the development and learning of junior team members through sharing of knowledge and best practices.
- Innovation: Stay updated with relevant emerging technologies and incorporate this knowledge into your work.
- Hiring: Help with running interviews and assess technical tasks in order to make decisions about hiring teams.
- Ensuring quality in all aspects of engineering including solution design, code quality, testing quality, performance, monitoring, operations, etc.
- Research and development: Help in researching and piloting new technologies and techniques.
Skills and qualifications
- University degree or higher in computer science, a related field or equivelant professional experience.
- 3+ years software development experience.
- Experience in a fast-paced [ideally startup] environment.
- Extensive experience in software devlopment with demonstrated knowledge specifically in React Native (JS/TS).
Nice To Have:
- Expertise building APIs / Backends using NodeJS (JS/TS).
- Expertise in using AWS preferred, alternatively deep experience with GCP or Azure.
- Knowledge of MongoDB, or other document stores, and relational databases such as Postgres.
- Familiarity with calling smart-contracts functions from the UI (web or mobile).
- A solid understanding of event-driven architectures, distributed systems, and parallel computing frameworks.
- A portfolio project to showcase.
The interview process will include the following:
- Interview with CTO
- Technical interview with senior engineers
- Take home case study assignment
- Review of case study discussion
- Final interview with other founders including CEO