Apply for this job
Nautical is building multi-vendor e-commerce technology that will power the future economy. We are looking for wave makers interested in having a lasting impact at a funded startup. We are committed to our work and charge diligently towards our mission to democratize access to marketplace tech.
Nautical Commerce is looking for a Senior Engineer, Front End to join our team in our Toronto office. We work in a hybrid work environment, and we value in-person collaboration and will often meet in-office three days a week.
- Build and maintain our production UIs, including our reference storefront and marketplace admin dashboards
- Design and build accessible and performant React components using Typescript, MUI, and modern CSS
- Communicate directly with customers to discuss upcoming features and impact
- Design product features that are scoped to delivery timelines (we use ShapeUp for product and engineering)
Examples of Problems We Solve
- Building management dashboards that can be customized by customers for their business with custom fields, and metadata support
- Building SEO and performance-optimized websites using React and Next.js
- Building Ecommerce checkouts utilizing multiple payment gateways
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or 5+ years equivalent experience
- Demonstrable passion and excellence in building very good user experiences, without necessarily needing a designer
- A strong track record building Server-Side-Rendered React applications in Next.js or Remix
- Experience building accessible JSX/CSS-based interactive UIs
- Experience with web performance and debugging
Nice to Have
- A strong track record optimizing React performance and technical SEO
- A strong understanding of CSS toolkits like MUI, Tailwind, and Radix
- Typical software development workflow items like planning, estimating, testing, etc.
Beyond the Skills
- You are committed to people. At Nautical, we are radically human. We make everything about people: our technology, decisions, interactions, and product are rooted in the power of being human first.
- You are honestly humble. We proceed by leaning into our team, knowing we don't know everything. We listen, make data-driven decisions, and communicate openly.
- You are customer-centric. We are customer focused because acting in the interest of our customers is always the right choice.
- You are solution-oriented. We leave our egos at the door and focus on solving problems. We are okay with being wrong to make sure the product is right.
- You are passionately different. We believe in the strength of diversity, embracing different perspectives and cultures to improve our community and our decision quality.
- Competitive salary and equity at a fast-growing company at the Series A stage
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans
- Hybrid work environment with an office located in Downtown Toronto
- 20 days PTO