Kinship and Science & Diagnostics are divisions of Mars Petcare—and are dedicated to one purpose: creating A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS™. Through comprehensive veterinary care, nutrition, breakthrough programs in diagnostics, wearable health monitoring, DNA testing and pet welfare, our 100,000 Petcare Associates help pets in more than 130 countries.
Kinship is unlocking a new world for you and your pet. Because, if you’re like us, your pet is your world. Our family of brands is continuously working to challenge preconceived notions, evolve our environments, and (re)build a universe that supports and centers on people and their pets—all with the power of Mars Petcare behind us. Like most families, we have different interests and expertise. But we all come together with a common purpose and love of pets—because they’re our kin too.
- The Kin is a subscription-based app designed to make pet parenting actually easier—with features like 24/7 access to experts and curated content, personalized to both pets and their parents.
- Adopt a Pet is a platform that connects hopeful pet parents, shelters, rescues, and rehomers—all with the goal of helping people and pets find each other, by improving the adoption process for everyone involved.
- The Wildest is one site that brings together culture, care, and content to help real people pet parent (and keep their cool)— with the help of product recs, vet advice, training tips, articles, interviews, and more.
- PetExec is the world's leading tool for pet care businesses, helping teams of all sizes more efficiently manage their daycare, boarding, grooming, and training operations. So they can spend more time on pets.
The Kinship Engineering team is creating the next generation platform for pet parents to care for their pets in one easy to use place. We are a pioneer in TeleHealth for pets and are expanding our mission to service all the needs of our pet parent community. As part of our team, your ideas, design and code will make a real difference in the growing field of pet care technology. This is an exciting time to join Kinship as we scale out our products and create the pet care platform of the future.
We are looking for a strong Principal Software Engineer to play a critical role in our technology organization and partner closely with our business, product and engineering teams to design, build, manage and scale the capabilities that power our pet care platform. If you are looking for an opportunity to make a positive impact while transforming an industry with tech solutions, we want to hear from you!.
- Develop software that connects customers to value
Lead innovation by exploring, investigating, recommending, benchmarking and implementing technologies for our platform
Collaborate closely with and mentor multiple teams of engineers
Taking ownership of services and applications at scale
Define architectural patterns that establish conventions for our products and services
Interact with designers and product manager to determine best ways to implement features
As the Principal Software Engineer, you will report to the Head of Engineering.
- Comfortable laying foundational code
- 5+ years mobile development experience
- 3+ years experience with React Native
- Experience creating consumer facing production mobile applications using React Native
- Experience evaluating performance and usability of mobile applications and driving improvements
- Experience designing and building RESTful APIs
- Expertise using industry standard methodologies (Github, Gitflow, CI, CD, etc)
- Experience defining technical direction and architecture
- Experience evaluating and recommending tools and technologies
- Comfortable deploying software to major cloud platforms (AWS, Heroku, GCP, etc)
- Experience mentoring other software engineers
- Experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL, mySQL, etc.)
- Knowledge of authentication and authorization approaches
- Experience with common development tools such as Node, Yarn, NPM, etc.
In all of the roles that we hire for, we look for people who represent the values we aim to uphold in our everyday work, and in how we approach each other: Optimistic, Purposefully Inquisitive, and Open to All. In addition, each Mars Associate is guided by The Five Principles: Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency, and Freedom.
The New York, New York base salary range for this position is $195,000 - $210,000 annually, commensurate with experience. Total compensation will include bonus incentives and benefits. Kinship provides Full Time Employees (Associates) benefits which may include health insurance, retirement plan benefits, eligibility for Mars discounts, unlimited paid time off and access to other benefit programs. Eligibility for Kinship benefits is determined under the terms of the applicable Kinship Benefits plan at a person's date of hire.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- Opportunities to impact and grow the business on a day to day basis
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for Full-Time Employees and their families
- Unlimited paid time off for Full-Time Employees
- Hybrid work environment
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby) for Full-Time Employees (adhering to our policy)
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet leaders across our divisions
Kinship is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Note to Search Firms/Agencies:
Kinship does not compensate search firms for unsolicited assistance unless they have a written search agreement with Kinship and the requisition is position-specific. Any resumes, curriculum vitae, and other unsolicited assistance from search firms that do not have a written search agreement or position-specific requisition submitted to any Associate of Kinship will be deemed the sole property of Kinship and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Kinship.