Role purpose and overview
We are seeking an experienced Senior Frontend Web Developer to join our dynamic team at The Telegraph. As a Senior Frontend Web Developer, you will primarily be responsible for building small tools that enhance the reader experience and empower them to better understand their finances, savings, investments, and other related topics. In addition, you will collaborate with the Visual Journalism team to deliver groundbreaking editorial content through interactive features.
You will be in the heart of the newsroom and will be frequently in discussions with non-technical colleagues who will need concise easy-to-understand technical explanations as to how you will guide your team to create innovative content.
When you are on-project you will have the opportunity to create cutting edge innovative content using the latest web and mobile technologies.
- Collaborate with designers, journalists, motion graphic designers and video editors to conceptualise, plan, develop, and publish small tools and interactive features for The Telegraph readers.
- Build calculators and interactive applications that provide financial insights, enable readers to make informed decisions, and enhance their understanding of various topics.
- Take ownership of the entire development lifecycle, from conception to delivery and publication, ensuring timely and successful project completion.
- Work closely with the team of senior developers, actively participating in code reviews, sharing best practices, and contributing to the continuous improvement of development processes.
- Demonstrate self-management skills and a proactive approach in identifying and fulfilling project requirements to ensure successful outcomes.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest web development trends, tools, and technologies, and actively propose innovative solutions to improve user experience and development efficiency.
- Excited by rapid, lean development procedures with very little administrative overhead.
- Strive to receive feedback in the form of real user stats, as quickly as possible after building, and relentlessly drive this time-to-feedback downward.
- Comfortable with the fact that decisions and output will be proven wrong by stats and thrown away. Adapt very quickly.
- Own work with pride.
- Proven experience as a Senior Developer, with a strong portfolio showcasing successful web applications and interactive features.
- Solid understanding of front-end technologies such as HTML5, CSS3, and responsive design principles.
- Experience working in a news-related environment or familiarity with the news industry is highly beneficial.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and deadline-driven newsroom environment, demonstrating a calm and systematic approach to managing workloads and priorities.
- Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and a passion for delivering high-quality user experiences.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively within a cross-functional team.
- Proven ability to work independently, take ownership of projects, and deliver results within established timelines.
- Familiarity with project management principles and experience in project management would be advantageous.
- Expert-level proficiency in: Git, Cross Browser/Platform Testing, Chrome Dev Tools (or equivalent).
- Any of the following tech is beneficial: ssh, iTerm, docker, homebrew, git, npm, nvm, react, vite, webpack, create react app, ant design, node.
- AWS: Knowledge of the following services in AWS: S3, CloudFront, Lambda, CodeCommit, CodeBuild (or CodePipeline)
- Figma: Knowledge of how figma works and how developers can use it to implement a provided design.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Level 3 Disability Confident Leader as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.