Apply for this job
At Loblaw Digital, we know that our customers expect the best from us. Whether that means building the best, most innovative online shopping experiences, or designing an app that will impact the lives of people across the country, we’re up for the challenge. Loblaw Digital is the team responsible for building and operating the online businesses of Canada’s largest and most successful retailer. Based in downtown Toronto, we are an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and collaborative team working towards transforming the way Canadians shop by creating leading eCommerce experiences in the online grocery shopping, beauty, pharmacy, loyalty, and apparel spaces, and we’re only just getting started! To achieve these goals, we are looking for talented and passionate individuals who want to collaborate and solve challenging problems and make significant and lasting impact on Canadians.
The impact you'll make
As a Senior developer, you will be working alongside other intermediate and more junior members on the Software Development team, and you will have exposure to every aspect of the software development cycle, and you will be encouraged to express your opinions and challenge assumptions.
Working remotely or from our downtown office, you will report to the Development Manager and will assist in building, improving and maintaining a world-class, multi-channel e-commerce platform. This is a rare opportunity to build new technology that will operate at a massive scale and impact the lives of millions of Canadians.
What you'll do
- You will cultivate a deep understanding of the portfolio of applications we utilize, along with their respective strengths and weaknesses, to provide solutions to existing and future challenges.
- Work collaboratively with product managers, designers, researchers, analysts, and other subject matter experts to create a best-in-class customer experience. When working at this scale, we count on each other in order to succeed.
- Create front-end component in React to enhance the use experience
- Participate in design session to create the best use experience
- Test the application to ensure the quality of the product we ship
- Work on the cloud technologies to deploy and run the application with state-of-the-art technologies
- Get actively involved in code reviews, pair programming and 360 reviews
- Through your knowledge of industry trends and tools, together with your own experiences, work with the team to improve our software, our environment, and our process.
- Provide guidance and direction to the development teams to tear down obstacles and keep initiatives on target and moving forward.
- Coaching and Mentorship to junior developers
Does this sound like you?
- Ideally you have experience is some of
- Single Page Applications
- React, redux, redux-thunk
- ES6, webpack, babel
- Node.js, Next.js, express
- SCSS, BEM
- Docker, Kubernetes, GCP
- CI/CD experience (GitLab IC)
- You are opinionated about what it takes to produce great software but remain receptive to other's ideas.
- You care about ownership. You proactively seek out bugs and fix them. Occasionally, when bugs find you, you don't sweep them under the rug.
- You are experienced with software estimation, often confronted with complexity and uncertainty.
- You make decisions based on data. You are versed with tools to measure every aspect of the application.
- You have developed large applications in a team environment.
- You are not afraid of changes. Armed with excellent refactoring techniques, you work effectively with legacy code.
- You are a good communicator. You can present complicated solutions to non-technical audience in a simple and logical way.
How you’ll succeed
At Loblaw Digital, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections. We’re able to keep innovating because our colleagues are passionate about their work and excited about the future of eCommerce. You will get to work with some of the best digital minds and will have the support of world class technologies to craft products our customers will love!
Loblaw Digital recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired. In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.