Senior Frontend Engineer
For millions of teams working in dozens of industries, day-to-day business gets done on the phone. So why—despite the huge leaps we've taken in design and usability—does most business phone software still look, feel, and act like it was born in the 90s? OpenPhone is changing that.
We’re a new type of business phone with a mission to help people communicate better and be more productive.
We’re backed by Y Combinator and some of the best venture firms around including Tiger Global, Craft Ventures, Slow Ventures, and others. We take pride in providing an exceptional customer experience and a product people love, which is why we’re excited that our customers have rated us the #1 VoIP Provider on G2.
OpenPhone is the modern, sophisticated answer to the clunky, outdated phone systems that have been slowing down businesses for years. And after earning over 20,000 happy customers and $56 million in funding in just four years, it's safe to say we're onto something big.
At OpenPhone, we're looking for talented Engineers to join our core engineering team. You'll help develop and scale a world-class application that's re-imagining the modern-day business phone. Your responsibilities will include thinking through our customer journey and advocating for product enhancements and optimizations while working with technologies like: React.js, Node.js, & Typescript.
If you're looking for a challenge and want to make a significant impact at a high-growth startup, this is the right opportunity for you.
- Ensure UI/UX designs are implemented correctly to build features that will delight our customers and help grow the company further.
- Architect and implement features that will make the app reliable, testable, and offline-first.
- Write clean, efficient, and reusable code that adheres to industry best practices.
- Participate in code reviews and ensure that code quality is maintained at all times through strong testing practices.
- Contribute to a collaborative environment deeply rooted in learning, teaching, and transparency with many team members, including back-end developers, product managers, and design and quality assurance engineers.
- 5+ years of experience in front-end development. Hybrid development is a plus.
- Excellent technical design ability, strong coding ability, in-depth understanding of TypeScript and React, V8, Node.js and their underlying principles, ability to systematically analyze performance issues and perform optimizations.
- Experience with big picture architectural design (bonus if server side as well FE)
- Experience with state management like MobX or Redux.
- Experience with RESTful APIs and asynchronous programming.
- Experience with FE compiling tools like Webpack and Vite.
- Knowledge of testing frameworks/libraries such as Jest and React Testing Library.
- Experience creating design system component libraries on platforms such as Storybook.
- Ability to work and drive projects effectively in a remote team environment.
- Strong communication and technical writing/documentation skills.
- Bonus Experience
- E2E testing frameworks like Cypress or Playwright
- Desktop application development using Electron
As a fully remote company, we thrive asynchronously as a team. We are curious, ambitious, and dedicated to our work. We value trust above all else, and have a strong bias for action. If you're looking for a place to do your life's work, please get in touch. We'd love to hear from you.
And remember, there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. We're looking for optimists with grit and determination, who are excited to face the challenges of a growing startup. OpenPhone is the type of company where you can grow, and we encourage you to apply for this role even if you don't think you meet all the requirements.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. It is important that you are able to bring your authentic self to work every day. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.