At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 5 million people use our app, Providers, to manage the benefits they use to keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Read more about the impact of Providers here. Now we’ve expanded further into the financial services space, offering the best banking option for low-income Americans.
Our engineering team is currently 20+ people distributed across the United States. Our team is composed of humble and smart people who repeatedly jump in to support one-another. We have a collaborative culture exemplified in our brainstorming, reviewing teammates’ PRs, and hackathons. We communicate in multiple ways, including Slack for daily async communication, Notion for documentation, and project management software for backlog and task tracking.
As a Frontend Engineer, you’ll have the opportunity to make an impact and work across many areas of FinTech, including bank tooling, interacting with government programs, surfacing savings opportunities, and more! You will get to use your skills spanning the engineering and design spectrum. The right person for this role is highly knowledgeable about modern web frameworks, having built and maintained something significant with Vue, React, or Angular. This person also must be passionate about working with product and design to create technology that is versatile, delightful, and functional.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team, and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with social safety net programs.
What we offer:
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- A remote first work environment with a dog-friendly office in Downtown Brooklyn and satellite offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake City. Team meets quarterly in-person for optional retreats and on-sites.
- 20 Days of PTO
- $10k lifetime spend towards Carrot Fertility
- Excellent Medical, Dental and Vision options
- Free access to Ginger mental health, Gympass, Headspace, One Medical, Rightway, Sofi, and Spring Health
- Propel believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and equitably. We set our salary ranges using compensation data from hundreds of NYC based startups at our stage. Additionally, pay is not determined based on location. The salary range for this position is $158K - 206K, depending on experience. Equity and excellent benefits come with this position as well!
What you will do:
- Build software systems used by millions of Americans in their moments of financial need
- Build iOS and Android apps using Vue + TypeScript + Capacitor
- Work with our design team to define and create a world-class user experience
- Ensure that our technology works across a range of situations - low-end Android, limited data plans, etc
- Contribute to building our eng culture and processes as we continue to scale
- Collaborate on deciding on the right projects, building great solutions, and helping your team succeed
- Effectively communicate with team members during code reviews
What you have:
- 3+ years of frontend development
- Experience building out and maintaining either mobile or web frontend infrastructure
- Experience shipping and iterating in close collaboration with design and product partners
- Experience with a startup environment or the ability to operate effectively when faced with ambiguity
- A passion for making a difference in the lives of our users
- Nice to Haves: Experience with Figma, UX principles, Accessibility, Interaction Design, or government and safety net services