Smart is a rapidly-growing fintech company transforming the retirement industry for the better. We’re changing the way people interact with their retirement savings using our award-winning platform which is powered by our inhouse technology. We’ve gone from a small start-up to a global industry-leader with over £2bn in assets under management. Join us to transform retirement, savings and financial well-being, across all generations, around the world.
Are you someone who has a passion for frontend development and is looking to play an important role in an amazing team and to grow your skills? In simple terms, we're looking for a Senior Front End Engineer to join our growing team. Someone with a commercial background in crafting and developing applications.
Engineering at Smart
At Smart, we focus on developing high quality software that delivers the best value for our customers and we don't cut costs – quality is essential to everything we do, working software that always works! We’re disrupting an industry that has been slow to adopt new technology and as a result we are recognised as a technology company that does pensions.
We started with a clean sheet and followed engineering best practices from the beginning. Our approach to code is simple, keep it clean and ensure it has thorough test coverage. We don't ship code just to hit a deadline. Savings is a long term project, and we're handling peoples retirement income, so the stability, security and accuracy of our platform is crucial. We also welcome change and innovation in engineering and are constantly adapting to suit new technologies or ways of working.
Some exciting aspects of our engineering practices are:
- We use contemporary tools such as AWS, GitHub, Semaphore CI, Datadog, Docker, Kubernetes, to name a few.
- We are able to maintain at least 96% test coverage of our application through collaboration and strong code review practices, meaning we can focus on features rather than bug fixing.
- Our team is passionate about OOP, TDD and DDD.
- We ship software continuously, releasing new features to production up to 30 times a day.
- We follow Agile practices and have a strong DevOps culture in place.
- We have great internal mobility, meaning that we are able to give you exposure to the aspects that you would like to improve on or learn about. Progression and development are key!
- We believe in diversity and inclusion, in and out. We have a diverse engineering workforce and over 80% of our Engineering team volunteered their time to be coaches at the recent Rails Girls London event – a free workshop aimed at making technology more approachable for women.
- We empower our engineers to propose new ideas. For instance, we run hackathons where in 24 hours anyone can build and present new ways of thinking to the senior management team – most of these ideas are implemented and in production today.
At Smart, we're a diverse team, made up of people from different backgrounds, experiences and skills. Our goal is to build great products to help people plan for their financial futures. We’re constantly developing new ideas to help people look after their pension schemes, in the UK and abroad. We’ve grown to a team of over 500 talented people, all dedicated to creating the best experience for our customers. Recently we made it onto Great Places to Work UK's Best Workplaces 2021 at the no.22 spot for large companies! If you think you can help us build a smarter future, come and work with us.
Smart Pension is committed to crafting an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
Our Recruitment Data Policy is here. Please click on the link if you have any questions about how we store your data or to know your rights.
- Develop new user-facing features using React
- Engineer a better code base with your team
- Be part of an 7-10 person agile engineering team, part of a wider Engineering organisation
- Work on tickets assigned to you, this includes writing code and specs (tests) and checking that new code passes other test coverage
- Directly engaged in projects and work alongside Product Owners, Principal Engineers, UX and Architects along with the Engineering team
- Review Pull Requests from other developers and provide feedback
- Work in a collaborative, agile team environment that is continuous improvement
- Help mentor and coach members of the team to deliver quality code
- Proven commercial experience with front end frameworks
- Experience writing unit, acceptance and end to end tests
- Enjoy working within Agile teams (Kanban or Scrum)
- Understanding of relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Understanding of UX principles
- Understanding of Object Oriented Programming, REST and MVC frameworks
- Previous experience working in a company that has recently scaled up is useful, but not essential
- Most importantly, a desire to learn, grow, working with an amazing team and deliver software
We offer competitive salaries, great colleagues and excellent benefits, including:
- 26 days holiday per year, plus Polish bank holidays. Two extra days holiday - Christmas Eve and New Year Eve
- 2250 PLN personal training budget every year to spend on courses or conferences or training materials
- Flexible working hours
- Relocation package (up to 10 k PLN)
- Private medical care including dental care
- Multisport Plus Package
- Online English lessons (within working hours)