Apply for this job
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You’ll work in collaboration with other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster.
You’ll undertake software application development on applications in our existing suite of products (including new ones), contributing to new or improved experiences for our customers, internal and external.
You’ll help maintain the standard for engineering excellence at Xero and support your team members in building products together. You’ll demonstrate leadership on best practices, and be a role model and mentor for other team members. You’ll contribute to our cross functional environment by working towards the same objectives, using modern principles and practices.
You’ll be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to automate. You’ll be able to make data-driven decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
What you'll do
- Create software - Care deeply about customer problems and technical excellence, develop high quality and scalable software, and coach others to do the same. Relentlessly automate any manual processes. Contribute to technical solution designs that embrace a quality-first approach. Participate in code reviews as a role model for giving and receiving feedback.
- Test software - Design and perform sophisticated testing activities that effectively and efficiently reveal product quality across a range of risk areas and quality criteria. Coach team members to enable high quality testing in line with Xero’s quality strategy and standards.
- Resolve issues - Efficiently assess the causes and identify solutions for development or production issues, and effectively communicate the impact to stakeholders. Recognize common patterns of failure to mitigate issues before they reach production. Proactively participate in incident responses and contribute to post-mortems.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Contribute to Xero's engineering standards and frameworks. Work closely with the Lead and Principal Engineers to apply standards to software and delivery processes.
- Continuous improvement - Proactively maintain, grow and share knowledge of development technologies used in the development of Xero’s software applications.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Champion automation of delivery processes. Coach and support engineers to ensure all software is running as expected and proactively works to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Be a proactive champion of agile and delivery practices who coaches and develops others in this space in order to ensure a consistent approach to ways of working.
- Recruitment - Participate in interviews and recruitment processes.
What you'll bring with you
- Must be an expert with React
- Performance optimization techniques
- Leadership experience and being a mentor in past roles
- SASS, CSS and HTML and an understanding of CSS modules or CSS in JS
- Familiar with continuous integration and automated deployment systems
- Demonstrated technical leadership in a web application development team
- An understanding of Agile methods and concepts
Great if you have experience with
- Cloud platform experience (Google cloud, Azure, AWS)
- UX Design and user testing
- Server-side development experience
- Building and monitoring scalable platforms
- Working with newer technologies/concepts like Typescript, PWAs & infrastructure as code
- Strong plus to have experience working with PHP or backend engineers who are utilizing PHP
- Strong plus to have experience working with Laravel framework
As a permanent remote worker at Xero we want to ensure you are getting the same #beautiful employee experience as our in-office Xero’s. Permanent remote Xero’s will benefit from a virtual ergonomic work assessment and funding to assist with the improvement of your at home work setup. Xero will also fund up to 4 trips a year to your most relevant region Xero office. You are part of our #team and we want to see you thrive!
At Xero, we are empowered to bring our ‘whole self’ to work. Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate. We care about learning together and celebrate our teams’ continuous improvement and career development.
We offer a great remuneration package, including compelling benefits and perks, like Xero shares and great parental leave policies. We also support flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. Our Canadian Xero family includes Hubdoc, an automated data capture platform and we have offices in Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.