Bluethumb is Australia's largest online art marketplace (over 17,000 artists and growing) and has been growing strongly now for over 9 years. We're have two physical galleries (Melbourne and Adelaide) and the team spread across various countries (Singapore, New Zealand, Japan, US and Russia).
We are looking for a skilful front-end developer to join our cross-cultural team of six in-house full-stack RoR and QA engineers to continually build new features and improve existing UX.
What's nice about Bluethumb?
- We work in three week sprints giving our team the ability to work in their own time with ample support and mentoring.
- We've been a remote-first technology company long before the pandemic, some of our engineers have been working remotely for a decade. We know how to build and maintain an effective and friendly remote work environment.
- Fewer meetings and reporting, and more trust. We have only one tech meetings per week (plus another company wide standup) and most of our communication is Slack-based (with ample mentoring as and when needed from the seniors).
- The work you do helps Australian artists build their careers. Many have made their career break on Bluethumb and rely on it for a living. The tech we build is socially impactful!
- You'll work in a small team of awesome engineers focussed on shipping great product, in a complex environment.
- Competitive salary package, birthday cakes, company merch and more.
- Team trivia, online games and virtual hangouts.
The is a remote-first position and we would ideally love to have a 4-5 hour overlap (AEST) with you. We have offices in Adelaide & Melbourne, so bonus points if you are in either of these two cities. This is not a strict requirement though - so if you're based elsewhere and can manage a couple of hours overlap with AEST, we'd love to hear from you.
Minimum 3-5 years of traceable production experience (excluding boot camps). To succeed in this role, along with front-end skills, you will be familiar with Ruby on Rails. Solidity and blockchain understanding is a huge +
?? Tech stack
All our developers are full-stack and get really varied new experience; with a mix of front-end (solid level Vanilla and Vue.js), back-end (Ruby, Rails, Hanami), and DevOps (Docker Swarm/AWS), doing short sprints and bigger projects.
Our ideal candidate:
– Fluent in Vanilla JS / TypeScript
– Ready to demonstrate an advanced level of Vue / React + React Native knowledge
– Has basic Ruby on Rails background (non commercial side / OSS projects are qualified)
– Has practical experience of front-end performance optimisation and monitoring
– Confident using GraphQL
– Familiar with Jest/Cypress/Vue test utils
– Deep understanding of Webpack
– Accessibility testing
– Maintaining front-end dependencies
– Micro front-ends
– Familiar with giving and taking code reviews
– Comfortable with occasional pair programming
– Ready to adjust to development guidelines
?? Application and process
Please send an application tailored to this position (Generic templates and dry cover letters are hard work and seldom impressive).
Introduce yourself as you would in a face-to-face interview. First impressions matter, so please do take your time with the application.
We are keen to learn more about your past/current projects. We’d like to see examples of software you’ve written. The actual code. We appreciate that it can be hard to share representative samples when you’ve been working on commercial software, so anything you can scrape together will be good.
If you have open source contributions, those are really helpful as well.
Next steps if we like your application:
A quick face to face call with the team (online) to get to know you.
A routine code refactoring exercise (offline).
A (paid) home-based exercise covering backend and frontend tasks.
Live pair programming session on a real task from our production pipeline.