Apply for this job
Skillshare is a mission-driven technology startup that has built an online learning community where millions come together to take the next step in their creative journey. We want our community to get inspired, learn new skills, and work in ways they care about so that living a creative life is possible for everyone.
As a Senior Frontend Engineer, you’ll act as a frontend expert within Skillshare to help the team adopt community best practices and drive the delivery of high quality frontend code. As we scale, ownership and leadership opportunities will present themselves, and you will work across our rapidly evolving tech stack to power new parts of our business.
You’ll be joining a fast-paced team that is passionate about technology, building products and upholding a collaborative team culture. You can contribute in a variety of ways including tech leadership and leading by example as an individual contributor. We’re excited to meet you!
What you'll do:
- Contribute to a modern frontend tech stack that includes React, GraphQL, Typescript, and Material UI
- Combine your solid coding skills with a design sense to build polished, engaging, and responsive user experiences.
- Be a part of a cross-functional team made up of product managers, designers, and engineers working in an iterative agile environment.
- Build and ship high-quality code to deliver impactful features and experiences.
- Design scalable front-end architecture.
- Participate in code and architecture reviews.
- Evangelize best practices for creating a delightful, fast, and scalable front end.
Why we're excited about you:
- You have 4+ years of experience building web experiences and have expertise in React and familiarity with state management.
- You’ve built, scaled, and maintained widely-used component libraries.
- You are proficient in HTML and CSS and have experience using CSS pre/post processors.
- You’ve collaborated in building out scalable APIs.
- You are comfortable with different API formats, such as GraphQL and Rest.
- You’re an advocate for the end user and use monitoring tools to ensure premium performance.
- You know how to keep our frontend secure. You have experience with browser security in preventing things like XSS, CORS and CSRF.
- You also have experience with user permissions and fine-grain controls to ensure data integrity.
- You’re an expert in browser compatibilities.
- You’ve worked on global products and aware of best practices to make sure users have a premium localized experience.
- You test your work by using both functional and behavioral tests.
- You bring a thoughtful approach to coding, testing, and technical documentation to the table, and you’re ready to help continually improve processes.
- You’re interested in emerging technologies and excited to help push the boundaries of Skillshare’s platform offerings.
- You have experience using a/b testing and analysis to drive measurable improvement in relevancy and user behavior.
- You have a business oriented mindset and are interested in metrics and how our conversion funnel works.
Why you’re excited about us:
- Our team: We have a passionate, creative, and innovative team that is a lot of fun to work with.
- Our mission: We’re doing work that matters – connecting lifelong learners around the world and empowering them to pursue their creativity.
- Remote Culture: A healthy, productive working environment means different things for different people. We optimize for trust and invest in supporting remote teams, offer home office stipends for those that work best in their own space and co-working spaces for those that thrive in a social office environment, and focus on transparent communication to ensure an inclusive, equitable work environment for everyone.
- Flexibility: We believe that doing your best work means living a full life. That means different things for everyone, so we optimize for trust, invest to support remote teams, offer home office stipends and co-working spaces in multiple cities, have an unlimited vacation policy (with a required minimum!), and encourage work-life balance.
- Impact: You’ll have the chance to directly impact the user experience around how students learn and how teachers create and share content on Skillshare.
- Your growth: You’ll have the opportunity to wear a lot of hats and take on more responsibility over time. We have a fresh $70 million in capital and a very, very long to-do list.
- Benefits: We believe that doing your best work means living a full life. We support our team with unlimited PTO, gender-neutral parental leave, anniversary bonuses and sabbaticals, and healthy stipends for creativity, learning, and personal wellness.
Skillshare is an online learning community for creatives. We have thousands of inspiring classes for creative and curious people, and millions of members who come together to find inspiration and take the next step in their creative journey. We are a series-D company backed by OMERS, Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re proud to be recognized as a top place to work by BuiltinNYC, Crain’s, and Forbes, in addition to being one of the five best places to work for women by Bpeace, and a top-rated workplace for dads by Fatherly. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation, and inclusive work environment for all.