Apply for this job
About HiMama and Our Mission:
HiMama is improving learning outcomes for children aged zero to five. We are a social purpose business and certified B Corporation that connects families with the early childhood professionals who serve them. Our goal is to empower early childhood educators with affordable tools that enable them to improve developmental outcomes for the children they work with, while educating parents about the importance of their work. If you are excited about being part of a high-growth tech company focused on making a difference in a highly impactful industry, HiMama is the place for you!
Are you excited about leading teams, designing and improving processes, and developing organizational structures that enable teams to succeed? Does the idea of coaching a collaborative and ambitious team of user-focused software engineers in a high-growth environment sound like your dream job? Are you excited about being part of a tech startup that's grounded in social cause and early education? Then we want YOU to join our team.
HiMama has three main products: Tablet apps for teachers, desktop web applications for owners, and mobile apps for parents. We bring all three products together to empower preschool teachers to connect with parents and engage them in children’s learning and development, and help owners streamline running their business. This means you'll also be looking to make an impact on the world beyond dollars and cents– working with a social enterprise you will personally have the opportunity to improve outcomes for tens of thousands of children in Canada, the U.S., and abroad.
About HiMama Engineering
The engineering team at HiMama is made up of full stack web engineers as well as multi-platform mobile experts. Every individual on the engineering team has the opportunity to make a big impact on growing the HiMama product offering with a wide and varied feature set as well as impacting how HiMama builds and delivers that product. From feature enhancements to the core product, ground-up engineering on brand-new architecture, data scaling, and system performance on Android, iOS, and web-based applications, our team does it ALL. Engineering at HiMama requires being an adept problem solver that is hard working and motivated to get stuff done.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Providing technical leadership for our team focusing on cross-platform mobile development with React Native
- Working collaboratively with product, design, and the rest of engineering
- Owning technical direction, design, and architecture for new features in our mobile applications
- Mentoring and guiding other engineers on the mobile team
- Providing overall guidance to the engineering team on best practices in mobile engineering
What We’re Looking for
- Experienced engineer with an agile mindset
- Attention to detail
- Empathy for the challenges our customers face and an eagerness to build solutions that help them succeed
Required Technical Skills
- Highly experienced building mobile applications with React Native
- Comfortable managing and deploying applications in both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
- Backend development experience specifically with: Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, PostgreSQL
- Experience with mobile and continuous integration systems like CircleCI.
- Experience with mobile application automated testing.
Don’t have all the requirements but convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you!
• Flexible working arrangements, with the option to work from our vibrant downtown Toronto office or work remotely
• Health benefits package includes medical, dental and vision
• Paid time off, including vacation, personal days, paid sick days, and paid volunteer days
• Opportunities for learning, mentorship and professional development
• Ongoing team-wide and company-wide virtual social activities and success celebrations
HiMama is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. If you require accommodations at any step of the application or interview process, please indicate so under the "Accommodations Question" box on your application. Accommodations may include but are not limited to: alternative methods of communication, providing a detailed “what to expect”, or modified testing. Please note this list is not exhaustive and we are more than happy to discuss other accommodations as required.
Commitment to Diversity
Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging are central to HiMama's core values. HiMama aims to ensure we provide a safe environment for everyone to thrive while bringing their authentic selves to work. Our mission is to promote an inclusive work space for all employees through Education, Discussion, and Celebration of our differences. Embracing these differences while coming together with a common purpose is what makes our team extra special. Our focus on inclusion and belonging is activated in the day-to-day culture at HiMama through our Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging (DIBS) committee, our bi-weekly DIBS discussions, DIBS Slack community, D&I training and education, volunteer days, donation matching, and more.