Canvas is bringing automation to the construction industry. Our mission is to leverage technology to empower current trade workers to be dramatically more productive and free from repetitive, physically taxing, and dangerous tasks. Our small but growing team has spent the past two years engineering and developing a brand new type of machine. Now, we are deploying on commercial job sites.
We are a Series B startup, and this position will not only have a lot of impact on our processes but also on our culture. There is tremendous room for growth and we are looking for someone who is a strong communicator, flexible, accountable, inclusive, and eager to learn.
We are looking for a Senior Front-End Engineer to work on the interface that operators use to interact with the robot. Since we are building an ambitious product that involves work across different engineering fields, cross-functional team collaboration is crucial to our success. Someone in this role will be expected to learn and understand the interdependencies of our product and help us build a robust, performant front-end architecture that will allow us to scale effectively as we add features and increase the size of our fleet. As a Senior Front-End Engineer, you will need to be highly organized and communicative, to effectively navigate the ambiguity that comes with the role, and to be able to establish a clear path forward for yourself and the team.
Who You Are:
- Extensive experience developing complex, production-grade front-end architectures
- Expertise in React and modern React patterns (e.g. hooks, render props, higher order components)
- Thrive in the fast-paced, highly ambiguous environment of a tech startup
- Preferably, experience with THREE.js, webgl, or game development
- Preferably, experience implementing performant web apps for mobile devices
- Preferably, experience designing performant, scalable APIs
- Preferably, some experience working with hardware or other physically dangerous or safety-critical systems
What You’ll Do:
- Work closely with engineers, UX designers, and other stakeholders to develop features from prototype to launch
- Contribute to the leadership, stewardship and planning of our React-based front-end architectures
- Establish front-end patterns and best practices to be used by the rest of the team
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to our other front-end engineers
Why You Should Join Canvas
- If there are items under the “Who You Are” section that you are working towards or would like to pursue, we still encourage you to apply. Our promise is that a real person is reviewing your application when received
- Autonomy and support to grow into your career at a growing startup
- Excellent benefits, including fully covered medical, vision, and dental
- The ability to work in a sweet office in SF with some pretty cool robots
- And of course the opportunity to work with some of the coolest people working on those robots in the Bay Area!
Safety at Canvas Construction is a top priority. We are committed to providing safe working conditions for all our employees. While not all employees are out in the field, we know how important it is to provide proper training, protocols and PPE to all employees. Upon hire
all employees are provided with steel-toe boots and safety training in their professional settings. Additionally, employees are also expected to employ best practices to maintain safety and ensure that their workspaces are clear of potential dangers.
This role operates primarily in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, printers and monitors. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some ability to move laptops, open cabinets and bend or stand as necessary is required.
Being fully vaccinated against Covid19 is a condition of employment at Canvas. We provide accommodations for religious or medical reasons.
Canvas is an Equal Opportunity Employer - we do not discriminate in hiring, promotions, or any other way on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.