At Sofar we connect the world’s oceans. We build the technology to create global awareness of ocean weather, climate, and ocean health. Our unique ocean data provides insights to science and society, and our products make ocean industries more sustainable. As a mission-driven team we combine the best in ocean science and Bay Area innovation to capture the canvas of our oceans and drive the new Blue Economy.
About The Position
We are looking for a product-driven software engineer to join our team as we build a new software product for the maritime transport industry. Our Wayfinder product runs on board the largest shipping vessels in the world, providing critical decision making context for sea captains as they navigate the world's oceans.
Building a great product will require you to have a deep understanding of our customers, their workflows, and the data they work with every day. You will collaborate with a top-notch team of engineers, ocean scientists and product designers to translate these user needs into high quality software that empowers our users with data to get their work done more efficiently.
Our tech stack includes Typescript and React on the frontend with backend APIs written using Typescript, Express, Postgres, and Nest.js, along with some data processing services written in Python. This role's focus will be on the frontend, but the right candidate for this position should be comfortable communicating and collaborating with engineers across the stack.
This role calls for an experienced frontend engineer with a strong grasp of modern React and web technologies. Our Wayfinder application is built as a Progressive Web App that places stringent demands on our codebase, requiring us to synchronize state and cache data through periods of intermittent network connectivity. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with Service Workers, IndexDB, and the HTML5 Cache API, as well as significant experience with different state management patterns in React.
- Passionate about building a product with a positive impact on the world
- 5+ years experience of professional software development experience
- Significant professional experience with modern Typescript and React
- Strong knowledge of how modern cloud applications and the web work
- Willing to learn new tools, languages, and patterns as needed to build a great product
- A solid communicator who enjoys collaborating with other engineers, designers, PMs, and scientists
- A considerate technical leader who can mentor junior engineers through design sessions, code reviews, and team meetings
- Excited to be be a part of a small but growing startup team
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.