Work a four-day week from anywhere for a company where people truly believe in what they’re doing! Wonderlic is focused on leading the way in fair, predictive science to create a world where everyone has their best job, and that starts with you! We leverage science to deliver evidence-based insights to empower smarter employment decisions, using simple, intuitive assessment tools, and to make sure our own team is engaged and equipped to do their best work.
Wonderlic has always championed progressive, sustainable approaches to building a culture that allows people to do their best work while living their best lives. Here are some of the ways we do that:
- Work from anywhere in the United States
- Four-day (32-hour) work week
- 21 days of PTO plus a paid company shutdown from 12/26 to 12/31
- True work/life balance and flexible work arrangements – we work with you to meet your needs, and we continue to evolve our company-wide approaches to flexible work
- Internet stipend
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Paid parental and primary caregiver leave
- Medical, dental, vision, FSA, and HRA
- Short- and long-term disability, life, and AD&D insurance
- Pet insurance
At Wonderlic, we combine our science-based assessment background with the best talent to innovate the way modern pre-employment screening is leveraged by the recruiting industry. We expertly combine I-O psychology, machine learning, and artificial intelligence to ensure applicants find their best jobs. Wonderlic provides the most trusted, scientifically validated assessments for sophisticated HR teams looking to identify top applicants and accurately predict on-the-job performance potential.
Job Title: Front End Developer
Location: Wonderlic is now a remote organization! We’re excited for you to make us better from anywhere.
Overview: A Front End Developer’s goal at Wonderlic is to help develop and maintain web-based (SaaS) software. This role includes feature development, support, code review, mentoring other engineers on the team, technical design and documentation, test case review, and agile sprints. The sprints are two weeks long and consist of a cycle of planning, implementation, testing, delivery and then a team retrospective at the end.
Essential Functions & Competencies:
In this position, you are expected to:
- Communicate well with all members of the team.
- Perform well-defined engineering tasks; not get caught up in the unknown, work to figure it out, ask questions.
- Alert manager/team to any issues preventing your work from being accomplished and not be afraid to ask for help.
- Actively pursue improving engineering skills, including but not limited to problem solving, writing readable/testable/efficient code, mastering technology in our stack, and learning to anticipate scaling issues.
- Demonstrate ability to learn from mistakes.
- Seek to tie stories back to user value & impact for our members & organizers.
- Independently solve problems and come up with innovative and more effective processes.
- Solve problems with the latest technology.
- Have an impact on our technical direction.
- Write efficient and maintainable code.
- Adapt to new technology and situations quickly.
- Be comfortable working in an agile/scrum environment.
- Mentor less experienced engineers on the team.
- Contribute meaningfully to the definition of stories.
- Pick up any story & suggest a solution for completing it.
- Lean into challenges when they offer the potential to create large impact, and do so with productivity and positivity.
- Be able to dive in to an area of the code/product that you’re not familiar with & make changes.
- Make sure your code is readable & easy to maintain.
- Make sure your code is tested appropriately.
- Review other engineers’ code and provide constructive feedback.
- Help grow the engineering team through involvement in the technology community (conferences, meetups, blog posts, open-source projects, etc.) and referrals.
- Monitor changes in production & rollback if necessary.
- Have production access and use it responsibly.
- Pair often and provide some guidance to more junior engineers.
- Review pull requests from engineers of a range of abilities.
You should have:
- 4+ years of developing front-end code for web application development.
- 2+ years’ experience with the React framework.
- 2+ years with Git workflow, including pull requests, code reviews, and CI/CD systems
- Strong knowledge of modern TypeScript and React.
- Experience with breaking down product requirements and stories into architecture design and implementation.
- Experience working on a team or in a group academic setting.
- A thirst for knowledge and continuous learning.
- A connection to Wonderlic's mission and values.
- Successfully performed the role of an Engineer I at Wonderlic or equivalent role elsewhere.
- Core language competency in at least one language.
- Experience working on a team in a professional setting.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate well with a team.
- Demonstrated ability to learn from mistakes.
- Demonstrated ability to unblock yourself and ask for help where necessary.
- Demonstrated good communication skills with teammates and show a good degree of emotional and professional maturity.
Supervisory Responsibilities: none for this role, this is a fully technical role.
Reports to: Engineering Manager
- 5+ years of experience developing
- Unit testing
Affirmative Action Plan/Equal Employer Opportunity (AAP/EEO) Statement: Wonderlic is proud to be an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. Here, diversity is valued and celebrated, and is what makes us such a successful team. Wonderlic does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, military/veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.