Senior Software Engineer
Raspberry Pi Foundation
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK-based educational charity working to put the power of computing and digital making into the hands of people all over the world. We want more people to be able to harness digital technologies for work, to solve problems that matter to them, and to express themselves creatively.
Established in 2008 and first known for our product — the wildly successful Raspberry Pi computer — the Foundation has developed educational content and programmes that are helping millions of people learn new knowledge and skills.
Through Code Club and CoderDojo, we support the world’s largest networks of free computing clubs for young people. Tens of thousands of educators have taken our online courses, and millions of people use our free online learning resources. We are part of a consortium that has been awarded £82m in Government funding to train computing teachers in every school in England.
Our digital products and services are used by millions of people all over the world. As part of our ambitious plans to expand our product portfolio and impact, we are now looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team.
You’ll need to have excellent technical skills with an appetite to learn what you don’t already know. You should be able to tackle a range of problems and exercise good judgement based on substantial experience of building accessible and performant digital products. It is also important that you are committed to making a difference for our users.
You’ll work within an agile team of Product Managers, Engineering Managers, Product Designers, and Software Engineers based remotely around the UK and Ireland. Together you will create digital products and services that have a positive impact on our audiences: the users of the 30+ million Raspberry Pi computers sold to date, and hundreds of thousands of young learners across the world. Recently we’ve worked on projects such as:
- Bringing Coolest Projects, the world’s leading technology fair for young people, online to an audience of thousands of children in 47 countries
- Launching our new more performant, accessible, and energy-efficient home page viewed by millions of users each month
- Providing a comprehensive set of free-to-access lesson plans and materials for young learners, created by subject experts and based on the latest pedagogical research through the Teach Computing Curriculum
We strive to make the Foundation a place where talented people who care about our
mission can do the best work of their careers. We have a flexible and collaborative approach
to all aspects of our work, and we’re committed to building diverse teams and providing fair pay. If we offer you a role here at the Foundation, we’ll make it work for you, and you can be confident that you’ll be working with exceptional people. We have a dedicated “Innovation Day” every two weeks, where we encourage everyone on the team to work on personal development and collaborate on digital making projects.
To learn more about the experience of one of our Software Engineers, check out this blog post.
- Build products, platforms, and services across the Raspberry Pi Foundation, with the goal to create valuable learning experiences
- Collaboratively deliver high-quality working software with measurable impact
- Work with other Software Engineers and Engineering Managers to improve processes and code quality across our products
- Help to plan the development of our products through technical analysis and evaluation of architectural needs
- Establish a deep understanding of our systems; find ways to improve release processes, resilience, and stability, and share this knowledge with others in the team
- Build consensus and take accountability for delivering product features, through clear communication, technical credibility, and empathy
- Closely collaborate with Engineering Managers, other Software Engineers, and stakeholders across the organisation to help resolve support issues
- Coach and mentor other members of the team, helping colleagues become better at what they do
Experience and personal attributes
You should have:
- Experience working as a professional Software Engineer with a focus on web technologies, evidenced by delivering features for products operating at scale
- A proactive, pragmatic, and supportive attitude along with being happy to provide and receive constructive feedback; if you see something that can be improved, you act on it
- A proven ability to build elegant, scalable, secure, and performant web applications
- Excellent debugging and software-profiling skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a collaborative approach to work effectively as part of a cross-disciplinary team (i.e. to provide clearly articulated code reviews and help colleagues validate their decisions)
We welcome applicants with:
- Expertise in React, Ruby on Rails or Node.js/Express
- A product mindset and the ability to see the bigger picture
- A background in architecting and managing infrastructure on platforms such as Heroku, Cloudflare, and AWS, using tools and services such as Terraform and CircleCI
- Experience developing and maintaining pattern libraries
- An interest in education, especially around computer science, physical computing, and digital making
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to our mission and to our impact at the Raspberry Pi Foundation. We know that having varied perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences helps generate better ideas and solutions, so don't feel you need to check off every item above in order to apply.