Apply for this job
We’re looking for someone who lives and breathes APIs to join our engineering team at ReadMe as an API Engineer! Know the difference between Swagger 2 and OAS 3? Can you (without looking) explain the difference between curl -i and curl -I? Do you love working on React-based tools for developers?
This role will be focused on improving the front end of our API Explorer. You’ll use your knowledge of OAS and APIs to improve the documentation experience for thousands of APIs and developers!
We're a small team of humans (and one owl) working together to do big things, and we’re growing fast! That’s where you come in. Since we’re a startup, you’ll make a big impact on ReadMe both in the daily responsibilities of your role and beyond.
🦉 What we do
ReadMe helps more than 5,000 leading startups and tech companies build beautiful, personalized, and interactive developer hubs. If you’ve ever visited the developer docs for Intercom, Airbnb, or Notion, you’ve used ReadMe!
We love what we do because it’s so much more than just documentation. We’re providing tools for teams to build a better developer experience and make their products and APIs easier to use. We’ve got great support from our investors at Accel who led our Series A, and our interview process reflects the open, caring, and whimsical culture we want to maintain as we scale.
✅ What you’ll do here
- Own major feature development in the API Explorer’s front end. We plan to add support for additional OAS features such as Callbacks, Links, OpenAPI 3.1, and in the future, GraphQL.
- Educating our customers and being one of the first points of call for the support team for OAS-related questions.
- Be one of our go-to experts on OpenAPI/Swagger.
- Work closely with our existing API Engineers, Jon and Aaron, who love APIs.
- rdme—the CLI wrapper around our HTTP API: https://github.com/readmeio/rdme
- metrics | sdks—the monorepo for all of the different SDKs for our metrics platform: https://github.com/readmeio/metrics-sdks
- API SDK: https://github.com/readmeio/api
Work on some of our various open source projects, including:
💙 You’ll love this job if you are...
- Deeply knowledgeable of the web, HTTP, and the API space, and an expert in OAS/Swagger.
- Passionate about making products people love.
- Up to date with the latest web technologies.
- Comfortable in Node.js and React.
- Experienced with developer tools, and using APIs.
- Understanding that roles are flexible and willing to take on new opportunities as ReadMe grows!
🌱 How you’ll grow within one month...
- Get your local development environment set up and running.
- Work on smaller features and bug fixes in production code.
- Be involved in planning meetings for upcoming features.
- Get to know Jon and Aaron, and nerd out about APIs together.
3️⃣ Within three months, you’ll...
- Pick up larger tasks with direction and support from other team members.
- Review code written by others with confidence, applying best practices along the way.
- Give demos of built features to other teams in the company.
- Begin to own development of the API Explorer.
6️⃣ Within six months, you’ll...
- Guide internal initiatives for technical improvements to the codebase.
- Run new major feature development, from planning to implementation.
- Advise other team members on architectural decisions based on your expertise.
🛣️ What’s the hiring process like?
- We can’t wait to read your resume and (hopefully personality-filled) cover letter! Let us know what excites you about APIs, and help us get to know you better!
- If we think we might be a good fit for you, we’ll set up a phone chat! We’ll tell you more about the role, and get a chance to hear about your experiences.
- Next will be a second phone interview, where we’ll dive a bit more into your background.
- Then we’ll invite you to an "onsite" interview conducted over Zoom! We start with a 15-minute get-to-know-you with everyone you'll interview with, and then have you talk with people one on one in the afternoon.
- We’ll let you know how things went within a week! If it still seems like a good fit all around, we’ll extend you an offer! If not, we will update you to let you know so you aren’t left hanging.
Not sure if you’d be the right fit? Apply anyway! We’d love to see your application.
At ReadMe, we’re committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
This role will start out remotely due to COVID-19. We want to make sure all our employees feel safe in their work environments! Eventually, we plan for this role to be on-site at our San Francisco office (unless otherwise noted in the job title), though our plans for remote flexibility are currently in flux. If you are not based in the Bay Area, please note that in your application so that we can discuss potential relocation.