Responsibilities & Expectation
MODE is looking for a frontend-focus software engineer to join our Product Engineering team. As part of a global team, you will be working on the frontier of enterprise hardware and cloud-based software. The problems we are tackling often have no clear answers and your system design skills and coding skills in developing robust systems is critical. You will expand your abilities as a software engineer at MODE.
- Develop real-time web applications for processing and analyzing sensor data. Create interactive UIs with data visualization and maps.
- Opportunities to contribute to MODE's platform infrastructure, such as API services, message queue systems, databases and data storage.
- Opportunities to contribute to software systems running on IoT devices and gateways.
- Join MODE's platform DevOps on-call rotation and respond to service issues.
- Review team members' technical designs and pull requests.
- Share technical knowledge within the engineering organization and support team members' growth and development.
As a junior member of the team, you are expected to deliver production-ready code with guidance from the team. Your focus will be on improving your breadth and depth of your engineering skills.
Team & Work Environment
The Product Engineering team is made up of engineers with varying experience levels and different areas of expertise. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds, and are located either in the San Francisco Bay Area, or in the Greater Tokyo Area.
- Members from both regions are expected to work closely together on the same projects.
- Collaboration among members is achieved through tools such as Slack, Asana, Google Docs, Google Meet, and GitHub.
- Because of time zone differences, video calls among members usually take place in late afternoons in Pacific Time (mornings in Tokyo Time)
- All internal communications are conducted in English.
- The team's technology stack includes (but not limited to) Go, React (w/ Typescript), MongoDB, Redis, Linux, Docker, and various AWS services (EC2, ECS, SQS, S3, etc.)
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all team members are currently working from home until further notice. Once it is deemed safe to return to the office, team members are expected to spend some portion of their work week in the office for in-person meetings and social activities.
Skills & Requirements
- Minimum requirements
- 1+ years of industrial experience in creating web applications, utilizing skills in:
- Developing single-page applications (SPA)
- Creating responsive web layouts
- Supporting cross-browser compatibility
- Communicating with REST APIs
- Proficiency in React.
- Ability to carry out written and verbal technical discussions in English.
- Preferred requirements
- Experience in Typescript.
- Experience in CSS preprocessor languages such as Sass and Less.
- Experience with some designer tools such as Sketch and Figma.
- Experience in launching and operating cloud services or applications on AWS.
- Personal traits
- Attention to detail and quality of work.
- Empathy for teammates, customers, and users of our products.
- Team-first mentality and full embrace of a collaborative team environment.
- Effectiveness in communicating technical concepts to non-technical team members.
- Intellectual curiosity and eagerness to share knowledge.