Calm is best known as a meditation, sleep and mental wellness app, available in both the App Store and Google Play store. It is the #1 app for meditation and sleep, with over 36 million downloads to date.
Calm was named by Apple as the 2017 iPhone App of the Year; by Google Play as an “Editors’ Choice” in 2018; and found by a major study of 200,000 iPhone users to be “the world’s happiest app” – the single app that left users feeling happiest from spending time on it. It has received over 200,000 five star app reviews on either Google Play or the App Store.
Our mission is to make the world happier and healthier by developing a range of digital and physical products that enhance mental fitness and alleviate some of the most important mental health issues of the modern age (anxiety, depression, insomnia and stress).
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
Calm is the #1 Health and Fitness App in the world, and we're at an inflection point in our growth curve. Our systems are built on a modern stack, our team is hungry, and we're looking for specialized generalists who can competently and calmly take on the hardest problems in computer science. Passion and vision underpins our engineers, as does solving problems around scaling at pace. Our vision is to build Calm into one of the most valuable and meaningful brands of the 21st Century – “The Nike of the Mind.”
A word from the Hiring Manager:
“As Calm’s team and systems grow, we need tools that empower teams to take quick action based on real-time data. We’re looking for a full-stack JS engineer to take ownership of our internal tools and help streamline the core operations of our business: content and user management. Work closely with our content and operations teams to develop features for Calm’s internal kitbag of productivity tools and take ownership of an internal product that’s used company-wide.”
Who You Are
- A knack for distilling business and operational needs into action-oriented UIs and tools
- Familiarity working with multimedia pipelines (Transcoding, Metadata, etc)
- You’ve shipped production, user-facing code in a component-based UI framework
- Experience writing tests in Mocha/Jest
- Strong product sense
- Intuitive grasp of UI/UX Principles, particularly around data display and consumption
- Proficiency in technical communication skills
- Thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
- BS/MS in computer science or related technical fields
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Fun, energetic work environment, and daily perks - snacks, drinks, catered lunch twice a week
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
And much more!