Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What’s a Lead React Native Engineer?
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Lead React Native Engineer will work collaboratively with the larger Product and Engineering team to further develop the Clearcover iOS and Android apps.
As a company, we take immense pride in being able to engage with our customers in a modern, thoughtful and transparent way. Based on usage and customer satisfaction, we think we’ve done a pretty good job with our mobile application. We have plans for the future and are looking for incredible engineers to help us get there.
What will you do?
- Collaborate with UX designers, Product managers and teams to deliver a high quality product for our end customers
- Write clean, well tested and documented code primarily in React and Typescript; deliver team’s goals on time in coordination with the team
- Proactively identify, document and communicate industry best practices, new opportunities to improve front end code and apply as appropriate
- Design, build and maintain our React Native iOS and Android apps and custom native modules in TypeScript, Objective-C and Java
- Determine right technical solutions while keeping customer needs in mind and leveraging input from product stakeholders and UX designers
- Identify the right solutions to ambiguous, open-ended problems that require tough prioritization
- Work with the engineering and product team to help bring the features on our ambitious roadmap to life for our customers
- Provide quality feedback on designs and code written by other members of the team, ask probing, insightful questions that solidify choices and surface erroneous assumptions
- Own production triage process and be able to quickly determine root cause of an issue spanning across multiple components and systems
What do you need?
- Strong experience with React Native
- Experience with Typescript
- Experience building RESTful APIs
- Experience identifying the right solutions to resolve ambiguous, open-ended problems that require tough prioritization
- Experience bridging iOS and Android native layers
- Experience with functional programming
- Experience working in fast paced and high-performance Agile teams
- Experience mentoring junior developers and conducting code reviews
- Good communication across teams, proven track record of working independently or with a team and be able to delegate
- High standards for quality and attention to detail implementing designs and animations
Nice to have?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- A good deal of native iOS/Android experience
- A self motivated Engineer who is consistently looking to improve and enhance customer’s experience
- Experience with streams and functional reactive programming (we use RxJS extensively)
- Experience with Objective-C/Swift or Java/Kotlin
- Experience building realtime client-side applications
- Ability to strike a balance between the needs of today and building scalable solutions for a greater future
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited PTO, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover 90% of your premium and contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.