Apply for this job
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it’s important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Jane is a home-grown, profitable startup. This means we’ve been growing a real business out of our own revenue for over 7 years now. We have the luxury and security of not having a zero-cash date like some venture-backed companies.
Jane was founded by a product-person and a customer-person, who are now the Co-CEOs. This means the two main teams at Jane (the product and the customer support team) are both led by doers who understand the job. We don’t have any suits here. We don’t even have a sales team! We’re building a really good product that is selling fast because people love it.
Jane is headquartered in North Vancouver but is a remote-first employer, welcoming candidates from anywhere in Canada. In order to keep our employees, candidates, and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, our team is working from home across Canada. All interviewing, onboarding and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
Jane does have a great office in North Vancouver, overlooking both the mountains and the ocean, and that will be available for people to work in once the pandemic restrictions are removed. But we’re really focused on creating a great hybrid work experience, where working remotely or in an office both offer an exceptional work environment.
Jane’s road map is exciting. Well, we think so. We have some interesting and challenging projects on the go, including our own (J)analytics platform, marketplaces, global insurance integrations, enhancing our telehealth experience, and introducing features like secure HIPAA compliant chat. And, of course, security as a whole across Jane. Not to mention the fascinating journey of scaling our team and processes.
Our devs get to really own the projects they’re working on from beginning to end. We don’t have project managers or scrums or sprints or even many deadlines. We’re focusing a lot on code quality and getting to nerd out on exploring the best possible ways to build things. At the same time, we’re moving fast. Releasing updates daily and being really responsive to what we’re hearing from our users.
Jane offers reasonable hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
So what are we specifically looking for?
- Knowledge of functional programming
- Rock solid at working with third-party dependencies and debugging dependency conflicts
- Understanding of REST APIs
- React experience and knowledge of state management (without Redux)
- Experience with automated testing suites, like Jest or Mocha
- Strong command of git: comfortable with interactive rebases and dealing with tricky conflicts
- Familiarity with project management tools such as GitHub issues and/or Jira
- Experience with tools like Bugsnag to monitor application stability and chase down bugs
- Works great on your own but even better as part of a team
- Passion for making things better
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development processes
- Experience with React Native
- Extended healthcare from day one.
- Participation in Jane’s employee stock option plan (JSOP).
- Investment in your career development & growth.
- $500 annual health spending account.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off!
- Three annual Jane-cation days: additional days off.
If you’re interested in knowing more about Jane and the opportunity to work here, let’s chat.