In this time of national reckoning, we at Food52 are having hard conversations about our role in a food media landscape that overlooks marginalized voices. We're committed to building a community that values and honors the contributions of the Black, Indigenous, and POC communities to our shared culinary experience—starting with the Food52 family. You can read about our support of the Black Lives Matter movement here. As part of an ongoing initiative, we are focusing our efforts to put diversity, equity, and inclusion at the center of our hiring process and our company culture—and build a team that better reflects our desire for equal representation in everything we do. Our goal is systemic change at Food52. We're looking for a Senior Front-End Software Engineer who loves to write code in a collaborative team environment. Promising candidates have a solid foundation in front-end development, testing, strong knowledge of common architectural patterns and have expanded their skills over time. As much as they love to code, they are also contributors, supporters, mentors and active participants in making our platform better, easier to use, and more innovative every day. The ideal candidates have an eagerness to experiment, a determination to contribute strongly, and a drive to recognize problems and work with the team to resolve them while always maintaining a sense of humor. Our product and engineering team consists of the product managers, designers, and engineers who build the systems that Food52 uses to produce amazing editorial content and a shopping experience that delights our users. Our team of software engineers works with our VP of Engineering as well as our product team to design and develop systems that runFood52.com. Our website is currently written in Ruby on Rails; on the client side we use React and are implementing Graph QL to integrate the two more seamlessly. We're always looking to innovate and try new things.
- Write code to implement new features in our custom content-and-commerce platform while maintaining code integrity
- Refactor code to make it better, faster and more resilient and add to our ever expanding automated testing suite.
- Help our team improve the quality of our code through thoughtful collaboration, code reviews, and other software engineering best practices
- Collaborate with other engineers in designing the architecture of new features, estimating their engineering costs and planning implementations while always keeping reliability and maintainability in mind
- Mentor junior engineers
- Deliver on time and communicate status, issues and concerns effectively throughout the lifecycle of a project.
- Lead technical initiatives as necessary by documenting, planning, gaining consensus and working closely with product managers
What a typical week looks like
- Attend sprint planning and estimation meetings with product and engineering to talk about upcoming projects, potential roadblocks, and ticket prioritization
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to more junior members of the teamCode review peer projects to encourage well tested and performant code
- Write technical specification documents to plan new project architecture and designLead triage efforts and work to fix issues that get reported through our internal helpdesk
- Attend our weekly Engineering all-hands to learn about new projects, hear about interesting bugs, contribute to process changes, and hang with the team!
- 5+ years experience writing code in a professional environment with increasing responsibility
- Solid background in web technologies, including a deep understanding of how a modern web application works end to end and how to write applications that scale well
- Highly skilled in modern CSS techniques such as Flexbox, BEM, and grid. Should also have experience using a CSS preprocessor like SASS or LESS
- Broad experience optimizing front-end components with overall performance considerations and SEO principles in mind
- Experience in mobile first, responsive web design
- Experience implementing design particulars from a specification
- Comfortable leading front-end architectural design and implementation on a team of engineers
- Experience participating in and improving Agile processes
- Ability to handle schedules and priorities and communicate appropriately about them
- E-commerce experience and a love of food and cooking, a plus
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefit options (including some that are free for you!), flexible spending account, and any-time access to professional mental health advice
- Annual bonus plan
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Free life and AD&D insurance
- Unlimited vacation days (including two company-wide weeks off for Summer Week & Winter Week!)
- Discounted gym memberships and a free Citibike membership
- Pre-tax commuter benefit plan
- Flexible hours and working arrangements
- So many snacks!
Food52 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of one's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. Food52 will consider qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local "Fair Chance" laws.