Apply for this job
As a Front-end Engineer at ChowNow, you will interact with trusted colleagues to contribute code and help build our product platform for growth and sustainability. You will help us launch quality products and support new initiatives to continuously improve the experience of our users (both our restaurant clients and their patrons). You will be an active voice in helping us shape the product by engaging in thoughtful inquiry and critical reflection. We believe positive relationships give our team the ability to exceed expectations. You will collaborate, learn, teach, and experiment with new approaches to enhance and support the platform as we scale.
Our Product and Technology
ChowNow’s front end applications are built on React & Redux, with Webpack as our bundler. We use SASS and CSS modules when styling our components, and Jest with the React Testing Library to test the components and the data stores. Our build pipeline is automated using Jenkins and Docker. Our RESTful APIs are powered by Python, MySQL, and Redis supported by infrastructure-as-code environments on Amazon Web Services.
About the Position
ChowNow is building an ecosystem that helps local restaurants find new customers, consolidate their brand, and improve their operations. It’s time for us to expand the platform, strengthening the relationship between diners and the restaurants they love, and helping our clients grow their business even further. Our current product offering includes a marketplace-web app, an online ordering system, and plans to build additional apps in the near future.
You will join our growing Product and Engineering team where you will collaborate to solve complex problems with a “quality product first” approach. You will be involved from design to delivery of new features and measuring the success of the product.
You will start by learning our business model and how it translates to software architecture and product features. Working with the team, you will contribute to our code base and review the code of other contributors, respond to product and technology-related metrics supporting business growth, and act as a key resource for our web applications.
About the Team:
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, Instagram, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 20,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
Within 3 months, you'll...
- Build, launch, and support your first feature in one of our many products. We ship with iterative agility.
- Learn development patterns and collaborative processes. We work together to make work efficient and enjoyable.
- Test your features and systems. We take responsibility for communication and quality.
- Develop meaningful relationships with all contributors to our product and technology development. Our mantra is collaboration and inclusion.
Within 6 months, you'll...
- Have made a significant impact on one of the core products in our platform. We celebrate our success by measuring our impact, internally and externally.
- Understand major feature areas of our applications and be comfortable navigating the front-end stack. We are all generalists, but we specialize in minor feature areas too.
- Have participated in the design and development of user-facing features. We communicate and collaborate on our architecture to achieve security, scalability, and maximum learning.
- Provide feedback during code-reviews of fellow Front-end Engineers
Within 12 months, you'll...
- Build within reliable estimates. We know this takes time, and we strive to be accurate with each other.
- Feel comfortable as a contributor and continue to learn.
- Join a cross-functional team and share ownership of building a product. We value all team members’ input and close collaboration.
You should apply if:
- You like collaborating with multiple stakeholders within and outside the Engineering Team towards a common goal.
- You are interested in working with Engineers at different skill levels and learning together.
- You take great pleasure in writing quality, highly maintainable code.
- You have contributed to a large web application using React and would like to put your experience into building ChowNow’s platform.
- You are excited about new technologies and seek to find practical use for them.
- You constantly work to get better at your craft.
- You value a beautiful and pixel perfect UI.
- You make decisions based on data and evidence, always having the best interest of the user.
- You enjoy an iterative, agile development process with frequent releases.
- You understand how to identify and follow priorities.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 7 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 8 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read here about your California privacy rights.