Hello there. We’re Zopa.
Our diverse team is united in their mission of creating simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customer’s needs at their heart. We’re proud that this dedication is reflected in our excellent rating on TrustPilot.
We’ve always been unapologetically honest with our customers, and value the same in return. Their feedback helps us shape what we build, so we can provide a bank fit for today, and for the future.
We’re not the new kids on the block though - we’ve been a pioneering force in finance for 16 years. In 2005, we built the first ever peer-to-peer (P2P) lending company, giving our customers access to loans built for real-life and intelligent investments backed by cutting-edge tech. In 2020, we launched Zopa Bank, meaning we could offer more – like fixed term savings backed by FSCS protection and a credit card to help customers take control of their finances.
Today, our bank and our P2P business run alongside each other, with the same ethos and the same mission. We’ve lent out over £6 billion and are proud to have made money work better for over half a million people across the UK, whether they were looking to borrow, save or invest.
If you embrace being challenged beyond the norm, aren’t afraid to think differently and are motivated by working somewhere you can really make an impact, you’ll love life here at Zopa.
Are you a hands-on mobile developer with a passion for building apps that make people feel good?
If so, read on. We are looking for strong mobile developers with experience in delivering iOS and Android mobile apps from conception all the way to release. Every engineer in our teams plays a key role, so you’ll need to be comfortable thinking on your feet, learning new technology, and pushing for impact. But you won’t be doing it alone: you’ll have the support of a cross-functional team around you, including backend engineers, designers, and product people.
About the team
We’re looking for people who are comfortable with a fair bit of uncertainty, fast change, and love solving really hard problems collaboratively. We make decisions fast and move on, trusting data first and using sharp instincts and experience when the data falls short. We communicate and listen with attention, and connect the dots before implementing.
Why what we do matters
Next to health and relationships, a person’s financial situation is central to their well-being and we draw our motivation from making people’s lives better through fair, simple, and easy financial products. Our app will make people feel good about money.
As a developer, you’re interested in the problem, not just the requirements on a ticket. You’re as ambitious about the speed and quality of your work as our plans for new products and launches. You know that your impact is not measured in pristineness of code, but the result for the user. In a team, you’re highly proactive and speak up & challenge when needed in service of speed and quality.
A day in the life:
- Work in a small, cross-functional squad on feelgood money features or making our app more and more robust and delightful
- Make sure we have all the infrastructure in place that we need to build fast and clean
- Learn new skills, whether it's about deploying mobile apps or the latest intricacies of TypeScript
- Collaborate with designers on ways to make the Zopa app truly feelgood
- Deliver fast, semantically clean React Native code
- Experience developing cross-platform mobile apps, including using native features
- Working knowledge of React (Native preferred, JS fine too) is highly preferred
- Solid understanding of version control tools (ideally Git)
- A passion for your craft and doing things “right” (semantics, validity, maintainability…)
- An interest in our mission and strong customer focus
- Previous work with backend APIs
- Working knowledge of TypeScript, Redux, React Native
- Experience in financial services or a similarly regulated environment
- Previous experience in a small startup or other “lean” environment
- A proved track record of picking up new technologies and delivering things with them quickly
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.