Founded in 2015, Maple is a fast-growing health tech company with a vision to power the future of healthcare by building a connected and superior experience for patients, doctors, and other types of health providers.
We're the team behind the Virtual Emergency Department at Michael Garron Hospital in Toronto, and the Trillium Health COVID screening program in Ontario’s Peel region. We've partnered with the province of Nova Scotia to support VirtualCareNS, which provides primary care to individuals in under-served regions. We also have a partnership under Maple Maskawâhtik with the Saa Dene group to connect culturally appropriate healthcare practitioners to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples.
With more than 2 million Canadians with access to our services and a growing network of 1,600+ healthcare providers, Maple is one of Canada’s fastest-growing virtual care companies.
We have established an entrepreneurial culture centered around our mission to "Build a connected healthcare experience." We continue to build our team with employees who are passionate about improving access to healthcare for everyone, everywhere. We attribute this success to our employees, who have helped us achieve numerous noteworthy awards including: Globe and Mail's #13 Top Growing Companies in Canada in 2020, Deloitte's Fast 50 Companies to Watch, LinkedIn's Top 10 Startups in Canada, and Canada's Top Growing Companies 2020 (Report on Business).
About the Role
We’re growing our technology team in order to scale multiple business lines and enhance access to healthcare for Canadians. We’re looking for passionate developers who thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, with an open culture and flat hierarchy.
At Maple, Mobile Developers build applications that are used by both doctors and patients across Android and iOS applications. We leverage React Native, but we don't underestimate the power of native technology. You'll be building the foundations of our real-time messaging and multi-party video. You'll maintain our cross-platform deployments on App Center and support our native end-to-end tests with Detox. Our goal is to create a fast, elegant, native experience for our users – whether it’s a patient in a live chat, a doctor giving an assessment over a video call, or simply a user booking a follow-up appointment.
You’ll thrive at Maple if you’re versatile, display strong technical leadership qualities, and are passionate about creating solutions that improve the health care experience for Canadians.
You’ll develop your technical and leadership skills as Maple scales up its mobile applications to support our mission. You are someone who enjoys thinking creatively, solving challenges, and coming up with fresh ideas to design the world’s leading virtual healthcare platform.
- Ship features and user interfaces for the Maple web and mobile experience.
- Collaborate on system-level decisions through weekly architecture meetings.
- Play a critical role in agile sprints and building a sprint backlog.
- Write maintainable, scalable, testable code across our codebases.
- Grow as a developer through peer mentorship and weekly 1:1s with your manager.
- Collaborate with designers, product owners, and non-technical teammates (e.g. operations, business development) to deliver impactful user-facing products.
- At least three years of experience developing in modern mobile development.
- Champion mobile best practices, understand the native build environments, and solve complex asynchronous problems.
- Production level experience with:
- Native iOS (Swift or Objective-C) or Android (Kotlin or Java)
- Mobile CI/CD
- Automated E2E testing
In addition to the skills described above, you are:
- Mission-driven — we are a small and passionate team challenging the status quo of the healthcare industry. You need to be passionate about playing an integral part in helping us accomplish our mission and vision.
- Execution-oriented — you have a strong ability and desire to execute to the highest standard. You care deeply about the quality of your work and don’t cut corners.
- Highly organized and planful — you have the ability to manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail and prioritization skills.
- A strong communicator — you speak plainly and truthfully. You communicate complex ideas in a clear and easy-to-understand way.
- Highly collaborative — you have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a cross-functional team
Other Role Information
- Job Type: Full-time
- Reporting Manager: Director, Engineering
- Location: Toronto
- Start Date: Flexible
- Salary: $100,000 - $115,000
- Performance Bonus: Eligible for an annual performance-based bonus.
- Paid Vacation: 3 weeks
Working at Maple
We want you to love working at Maple. We want you to feel challenged and supported, cared for, and driven. Just as we’re driven to grow, to improve, to iterate our products and services, we want you to take the same mindset as you work towards achieving your personal best. We can all learn, we can all develop, and we can all power the future of healthcare. But we can only do it together. At Maple, we are a team first and foremost. Your success is our success.
In order to support your wellbeing, we offer an evolving set of benefits and perks, including:
- Health benefits: Comprehensive health and dental benefits and insurance and unlimited online consultations with a General Practitioner
- Maternity & parental leave benefits: Up to $8,000 supplemental unemployment benefit
- Paid personal days: 10 personal days plus additional paid and unpaid time off for significant life events
- Flexible hours: For example, work from home Fridays when in office
- Learning & development: up to $1,000 professional development budget per fiscal year, continuous feedback culture, annual performance reviews depending on start date
- Periodic use of the company parking spot when in office
- Healthy snacks or remote alternative
- Quarterly team socials
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note that any offer of employment may be subject to verification of employment and education background checks, including a criminal record check.