Karius is a venture-backed life science startup that is transforming the way pathogens and other microbes are observed throughout the body. By unlocking the information present in microbial cell-free DNA, we're helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, providing industry partners with access to 1000’s of biomarkers to accelerate clinical trials, discovering new microbes, and reducing patient suffering worldwide.
We are seeking a talented Sr. Software Engineer, Front End to join the customer experience software engineering team, a new team within Karius’s world class engineering department. Tasked with taking our customer-facing applications to the next level, we believe the success of Karius’s products is driven by both our unique technology and the elegance of the software solution. We seek talented and passionate individuals who want to be part of this impactful journey reaching the team’s ambitious goals, far beyond what any single individual could accomplish.
As a Sr. Software Engineer, you will primarily focus on developing and maintaining web applications used by physicians and researchers to access genomic-based diagnostic information in the process of treating patients with infections or developing new therapies for such diseases. You would also be responsible for helping establish front end practices, documenting chosen solutions, and sharing in mentoring new team members as they join. We currently do most of our front end work in react.
Why Should You Join Us?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company’s platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Reports to: Sr. Manager, Software Engineering
Location: Redwood City, CA
First and foremost, you are energized and motivated by the opportunity to build an elegant software. You enjoy seeing your creation work like a clock positively impacting thousands of people every year. You crave tough challenges in a super technical and collaborative environment that requires creativity and vision to navigate complex and ambiguous problems.
• Guide product features throughout the execution cycle with a focus on solutions for both software and design, working at the interface with both internal and external clients.
• Drive user experience and create elegant and inspiring web and mobile user interfaces and layouts.
• Partner with the scientific, analytical, medical, and commercial teams to take value through the full product life-cycle, from identifying need to delivering impact.
• Drive quality of deliverables, from defining testing scenarios to implementing improved quality assurance and control processes and technologies.
• Troubleshoot and fix reported customer issues.
What’s Fun About the Job?
Karius is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible in infectious disease diagnostics. With that, comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. To deliver on that value, you will be tapping into some of the most advanced technologies, architecting and innovating where the current solutions simply don't suffice. You will get to see how much your work really matters.
Travel: No travel required.
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in an office environment.
• BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Bio Engineering or related technical fields involving algorithms or coding (e.g., physics or mathematics).
• 5+ years of software engineering experience, including designing, developing and maintaining front end applications in a production environment, with at least 2 of the years being with react.js or a related technology.
Knowledge and hands on experience with:
• Software testing
• Usage of third party and in house REST and GraphQL APIs
• Authentication and authorization systems and standards
• Experience developing applications in regulated environments such as healthcare and life sciences is a big plus
• Passionate, purpose-driven, and excited about Karius’ mission.
• Mastered your craft yet eager to learn and grow.
• Demonstrated ability and desire to tackle complex problems.
• Ability to work independently but also be an excellent team player.
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced, startup environment. (Don’t worry though, we strongly believe in work/life balance. )
At Karius, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees and are committed to honor and invest in the full diversity of people, in our hiring, recruiting and development of employees across the Company. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.