Verikai is an insurance technology company changing the way the industry views risk with true predictive analytics. Our well-established database includes over 5,000 behavior attributes for 250+ million people in the United States and provides deep insight to these individuals’ true health risks. With this data, we help insurance companies improve underwriting precision, speed and efficiency using alternative data and machine learning – and ultimately, we provide consumers and small businesses with greater access to a broader range of insurance products.
Verikai isn’t your typical startup. And we aren’t looking for typical employees. For starters, we are a fully remote organization, meaning your home base can be your sofa, your favorite café, or a (wifi-equipped) cabin in the woods. All you need is your brain and a laptop…and we provide the laptop. We’re looking for people who want to do inspired work for a higher purpose. We are a growing and well-funded tech startup with a great product and even better ideas. If you want to make an immediate impact on the way the insurance industry operates while working in a fun, fast-paced and supportive environment, you’ve come to the right place.
About the role
We are seeking a senior Front End Developer who is experienced with React to join a team building a marketplace for an insurance company. We have an experienced and fast-moving executive team that is looking for people with strong intellectual curiosity, relevant, demonstrated experience, and the commitment and tenacity to keep pace in a small, start-up team.
As the Front End Developer, you have the opportunity to be a foundational element of our success. You will be in the frontline of bringing the next wave of alternative data and ML-driven risk analysis to a highly regulated set of industries that are in need of better technology. There will be opportunities to grow both professionally and personally. Ultimately, we would love this person to help build a world-class team and stay with the company for many years to come.
This role is 100% remote within the United States
- Own the user experience for the product
- Collaborate with the design, product and back-end teams, and be able to understand the requirements in detail, and to pick up where they are leaving off.
- Work closely with the engineering, UX/design, and product team to identify customer needs and help create production ready software to solve them.
- Implement features, bug fixes, and other improvements to the application.
- Follow best practices to ensure that improvements to the application occur quickly, are scalable and reliable.
- Identify areas of technical debt and partner with technology leadership to prioritize solutions.
- Improve the overall quality, performance, and stability of frontend, including build process.
Skills and Qualifications
All candidates must have these required skills, qualifications or experiences to be considered for the role:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or a related discipline, or comparable experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years of React experience
- Strong desire to learn in a fast-paced, technical environment
- Hands on experience and strong proficiency knowledge of languages/tools such as Express.js, MySQL, AWS Amplify, npm, Yarn, and Git/BitBucket
- High proficiency with development tools and workflows
- Strong self-management, with the ability to comfortably identify, set and meet their own priorities
- Demonstrated experience meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment consistently, with the ability to communicate when there are blocks or challenges to deadlines
- Team orientation, with the ability to identify gaps and fill them proactively
- Strong communication skills, including experience in a Slack-first environment and the ability to regulate when it is needed and appropriate to ask for help vs. self-manage
The ideal candidate will also have these strongly preferred skills, qualifications or experiences:
- Experience with the following languages/tools/practices: Redux, Material-UI React Library, Web Workers, AWS Cognito, AWS Lambda, AWS IAM, Figma, Code Splitting
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Worked in a startup environment or other fast-paced, small environment with high responsibility and/or small team
- Competitive compensation (salary and stock)
- Health, dental, and vision
- 401(k) plan
- Unlimited PTO + generous paid holidays (including Thanksgiving and winter breaks)
- Ego-free, open-door policy
- 100% remote company—you can literally work anywhere with just your laptop and an internet connection
- Employer-paid meal delivery program via GrubHub
- Customer-focused, innovative environment
- Flat organizational structure
- Team offsites, happy hours, lunch n’ learns