Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth with zero customer churn, and our $50M Series C from Sequoia has given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
A small, enthusiastic team with strong user demand
The code insights team is looking for an experienced, passionate engineer to build with us an entirely new product area of Sourcegraph: Code insights. Code insights is the first feature in Sourcegraph that provides high-level information about code, building atop all Sourcegraph's other features and even external data sources.
We're building an autonomous, international, full-stack team.
The code insights team is building at the forefront of developer knowledge and code analysis using lean, user-focused methods – and everything we've built so far makes both our customers and our coworkers react with delight and surprise.
Why this job is exciting
- You will be one of the founding engineers for this team. You will have a large, immediate impact on the shape and direction of code insights.
- Despite its early stage, code insights is a heavily-validated feature: multiple Fortune-1000 companies have specifically requested early access to use our working prototypes.
- Ahead lay extremely interesting challenges and opportunities for growth in making code insights scalable to hundreds of thousands of repositories, while also making it more powerful with filter capabilities, actionable insights, custom data sources – and much more we haven't even thought of yet.
- In addition to serving all of Sourcegraph's existing developer users, code insights is the first feature we're building to serve engineering and product leaders at the director-or-above-level.
- Sourcegraph's users all have technical backgrounds, meaning we can focus on the innovation and power of code insights rather than get caught up in product education.
- Code insights will shape how all the top engineering-first companies build, organize, and evaluate themselves.
- You have practice at creating high quality UIs balanced with a pragmatic understanding of how to make appropriate tradeoffs (e.g. cut scope) to ship quickly and iterate.
- You communicate clearly and empathetically, especially in writing and documentation.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Work closely with a Product Manager and Product Designer to implement a high-quality UI for code insights using React, SCSS, and TypeScript.
- Actively shape the direction and participate in the planning of the features we're going to build, e.g. by writing and reviewing RFCs.
- Build accessible UIs that other engineers and engineering leaders love using.
- Collaborate with backend engineers to define the ideal APIs needed to deliver on the desired user experience.
- Collaborate with other product teams like search, code intelligence and campaigns to figure out integration points with other Sourcegraph features.
- Multiple years of experience in writing SPAs using React or similar component-based frontend frameworks.
- Familiarity with TypeScript or a different typed programming language.
- Skilled at writing clean, reusable CSS and semantic HTML to implement visual designs.
- Experience in designing backend APIs (e.g. GraphQL or REST) from a client perspective.
- Experience in using backend APIs from the frontend.
- Skilled at building and testing (e.g. unit testing, automated end-to-end testing) UIs.
- Extensive experience with TypeScript and/or GraphQL.
- Contributions to open source projects.
- Experience working on small high-performing product teams.
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team.
- Developer platform/tool industry experience.
- Experience in the space of data visualization dashboards or similar.
- Interest in measuring code and engineering best practices.
- You apply.
- The Hiring Manager, Felix, reviews all the information you provided on your application to determine if you meet our qualifications for this role (if there is another open role we think you would be better qualified for, we will let you know).
- [30m] A Recruiter sets up a 30 minute call to learn more about what you are looking for, tell you about Sourcegraph, and answer any questions that you have.
- [45m] We set up a 45 minutes interview with the Hiring Manager, who will tell you more about the available role in the team. They will ask you about your past work experience, accomplishments and assess your suitability for the role and alignment with Sourcegraph's values.
- [3hr] You complete a 3 hour coding exercise that we designed to test your technical ability and the responsibilities of the role as listed above.
- Note: while we do not disqualify candidates who do not have React and TypeScript experience from taking the exercise, you will be required to use these for the exercise.
- An Engineer and a Designer will review and grade your submission:
- [60m] We schedule a 1 hour follow-up call to discuss your submission with the reviewers and ask any questions we might have to clarify our understanding of your technical capability and suitability for the role.
- We schedule the following additional interviews, in no particular order, across multiple days:
- 1 hour Technical experience: We ask you about your past work and accomplishments in depth, how you worked with others, decisions you made, and what you'd do differently today.
- 1 hour Team collaboration: We ask you about how you work and communicate in a team setting, how you handle tricky situations, decisions you made, and what you'd do differently today.
- 30 minutes VP Engineering
- 30 minutes CTO
- We check your references & make you a job offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.