WHAT WE DO
, we are building a homemade food marketplace. We believe in providing the shefs in our community (refugees, immigrants, stay-at-home parents, retirees and out-of-work restaurant chefs) the opportunity to make a meaningful income by doing what they love! We also believe that every person should have access to a wholesome, home-cooked meal at an affordable price. Building a community devoted to economic empowerment and cultural inclusivity -- that's why we started Shef.
We are committed to reimagining home cooking regulations around the country to help put people back to work following the COVID-19 pandemic and have raised nearly $30M from investors including Andreesen Horowitz, Y Combinator, Craft Ventures, and M13, as well as founders and executives from Instacart, TaskRabbit, StubHub, AngelList, Lyft, Airbnb, and Yelp. We have a ton of exciting work ahead of us and are excited to have you join us!
As a frontend expert at Shef you will be responsible for establishing best practices and laying the foundation for our frontend frameworks. You will own initiatives like building a design component library, building data visualization frameworks, and optimizing website performance. You will also build delightful experiences for consumers and chefs across the country. You will optimize the shopping experience for our consumers, and build out micro-entrepreneurship tools for our shefs to run their own businesses. If we succeed, you will have fundamentally changed how people purchase food and the variety of healthy, affordable, and authentic food that they have access to. This role reports directly to the Head of Engineering and can be fully remote.
- Own the frontend architecture at Shef - help to set the vision and direction for Shef’s website
- Design a reusable component library that other engineers can use
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior engineers
- Optimize website performance to increase conversion
- Build out a reusable CSS framework and apply it across the entire site
- Report directly to the Head of Engineering
- Frontend Expert: 5+ years of frontend experience in React, HTML, CSS
- Experience building out a design component library
- Experience mentoring and in a technical leadership role
- Experience with GraphQL
- Self-starter who is smart, driven, and hardworking
- Excited about Shef's mission of unlocking the home-cooked food industry
- Brings a heavy focus on increasing revenue
- Experience working on food & restaurant products or online marketplaces
At Shef, we are building a platform that celebrates difference and cultural inclusivity by providing equitable opportunities for economic empowerment and by reimagining food making and sharing in our 21st century world. Our employee, shef, and customer communities represent a wide, beautiful cross-section of individuals from diverse cultures, ethnicities, races, and walks of life.
Shef is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to build a team that reflects the communities we serve, and a workplace that nurtures and empowers unique identities and experiences. We are committed to advancing equity in a tech industry that has often fallen short. We strongly encourage applications from BIPOC (Black; Indigenous; People of Color), women, LGBTQ+, and other individuals who are underrepresented in the industry, across color, religion, race, ethnic and national origin, physical ability, gender and sexual identity.
For individuals who require an accommodation during the interview process, please advise your company contact.