Do you want to join us on our mission to shape democracies for the digital age? Are you looking for an international and fast-paced, yet collaborative and inclusive environment to thrive in?
You have come to the right place.
CitizenLab, a social impact scale-up with headquarters in Brussels and offices in New York, Amsterdam, Paris, and London, aims to make public decision-making more participatory, inclusive, and responsive. The SaaS platform is already being used by over 270 cities and municipalities in 15+ countries, facilitating two-way communication between governments and their residents. Since it was founded in 2015, CitizenLab has enabled 500,000+ community members to weigh in on the local topics they care about and got recently recognized as 'Best Social Impact Startup in Europe'.
Full-Stack Engineer at CitizenLab
As a Full-Stack Engineer in the Engagement squad, you contribute to our core product, which allows local governments to engage their citizens through a wide range of digital participation methods. You’re part of a cross-functional squad, where you are focused on the front-end, crafting polished and well-engineered UI in React, using Typescript. You’re knowledgeable about our Ruby on Rails back-end to unblock yourself on smaller tasks.
- You actively contribute to the specifications and designs of new features, uncovering technical constraints and breaking down the work into iterations and tasks
- You take ownership over the front-end tasks and implement them in close contact with your colleagues. You take into account all aspects, from efficient data loading to accessibility, to a clear component breakdown, to testing, and delivering a polished end-user experience.
- You help out with some back-end tasks and are able to bridge the back-end/front-end knowledge gaps for your colleagues.
- You deliver your work in small iterations, often soliciting feedback from colleagues, spontaneously and through code reviews.
At CitizenLab, we work in small teams where members collectively take ownership of the outcome of the features they build. We work in short iterations and release continuously. We’re strong believers in user testing and understanding live product usage.
What do we expect from you?
As our Full-Stack Engineer with a front-end focus
- You have multiple-year of experience developing modern UI in React
- You have some experience with Ruby on Rails
- You can’t accept a sloppy UX, you crave to deliver a polished result
- You’ve used Typescript or another typed language before
- You’ve worked with testing frameworks like Jest and Cypress
- You take initiative and like to be challenged
- You are willing to relocate to Brussels (this is a plus, but not a hard requirement)
Eagerness to learn, talent, and enthusiasm are more important than ticking the boxes though. Even if not all desired requirements are met, but you're very excited about the role, we want to hear from you.
What can you expect from us?
- Unlock your full potential and have a social impact at scale. Day-to-day we work with local government leaders across the world to help them connect with their communities.
- Become a key factor in our rapid transition from a startup to a scaleup (50 employees), and our expansion from Europe to the United States.
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative, and supportive environment. We share a participatory culture of autonomy and ownership by everyone, not only by leadership.
- Be part of our dynamic, international team. We organize many team activities and afterworks (when possible). We are as serious about our work in digital democracy as we are about having fun on our journey together.
- Enjoy an informal work vibe with open communication and full transparency on results.
- Participate in leadership meetings, inspiring team lunches, our company book club, bi-quarterly strategic town halls, and yearly off-site team retreats.
- Spend 10% of your time on personal projects and self-development for the long run. We’re committed to both collective and individual growth.
- Receive a competitive salary package, incl. perks such as 26 paid holidays, a professional development budget, well-being budget, collective bonus plan, your own laptop, full flexibility on working from home, and much more.
CitizenLab is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.