Help people better access and afford care.
Most care in the future will be cash purchased or financed versus insured. While this sounds massively disruptive it is not without precedent. We believe this societal shift is actually a good thing and will rhyme with its historic analogue of how retirement savings shifted from being an employer-paid, defined benefit (pension) to an employee-oriented, defined contribution (401k) model. This societal shift liberated employers from expensive, unmanageable costs totally unrelated to their core business and catalyzed a Cambrian explosion of innovation relating to retirement and financial services. We see the same shift slowly underway in healthcare and we are positioning Paytient to be the enabling financial platform upon which the effortless buying and selling of sub-catastrophic care will be built and transacted.
Offered by employers and insurers, Paytient is embedded or put alongside health plans to give 'paytients' the ability to pay for unexpected, out-of-pocket expenses over time - always without interest or fees. We are wedging into the world by putting Paytient into the purses and wallets of millions of people and helping better afford the status quo. With a globally remote team and headquartered roots in Columbia, Missouri, we are a founder-led, privately held company funded by Inspired Capital, Box Group, Lachy Groom, Lightbank, Crossbeam and Cultivation Capital.
How you can help
Paytient is looking for a self-motivated and driven Senior Frontend Software Engineer who is looking to build elegant software, make a difference in the lives of our customers and is excited about working at a venture-backed, financial technology/healthcare startup.
In this role, you will work on the Paytient mobile application, written in React
Native and available on iOS and Android. In addition, you will work on a consumer facing web application written in React. Greenfield frontend projects include new applications that support partners, employers, and internal users.
The role reports to our CTO, and you can work from our Columbia, MO office, or anywhere within the United States.
- Lead the team in best practices, technology selection, and architecture
- Serve as a mentor to other teammates to help develop their skills
- Collaborate closely with product and design to continuously innovate on Paytient's products
- Design, plan, and implement future improvements to our mobile and web applications
- Write high quality, maintainable code
- 3+ years professional experience as front-end software engineer
- Passion for delighting customers and creating simple solutions to complex problems
- Expert with React, React Native, and Redux
- Expert with unit and integration testing (Jest, Detox)
- Experience with consuming REST APIs and integrating with third party services (Stripe, Plaid, etc)
- Preferred: domain knowledge/or interest in financial or healthcare technology
- Preferred: demonstrated experience building and shipping mobile applications
- Preferred: experience with Visual Studio App Center for mobile application CI/CD
- Preferred: experience with JAMstack static site generators such as Gatsby or Next.js
- BA/BS or equivalent experience
- Optional but helpful; experience working at an early stage startup
- Permanent US work authorization required
At Paytient we believe that a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences enrich our teams and allow us to achieve above and beyond our goals. If you do not have experience in all of the areas detailed above, we hope that you will share your unique background with us in your application and how it can be additive to our teams.
Compensation & Benefits
- Remote-with-Roots: Paytient is a mostly remote company with roots in Columbia, Missouri, as such, we pay geographically-agnostic, stage-appropriate, talent-based salaries. We're proud to call Columbia, Missouri home and welcomes new remote hires to visit us so they’ll come to know what we already know to be true – CoMo is an unexpectedly awesome place to live, work and play.
- A direct primary care membership
- Your choice of medical, dental, and vision insurance made better with built-in deductible financing of $5,000 on your personal Paytient card
- 401(k) plan with matching contribution up to 4% of your salary
- 5 weeks of encouraged paid time off available on your first day for your physical and mental health
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave and 2 weeks flexible time upon return
- $50 monthly phone stipend
- $100 monthly stipend for your choice of wellness benefits
- $500 one-time stipend to enhance your remote work experience
- A company provided computer
- Two awesome company retreats a year