Intermediate Mobile Software Engineer
Posted 2 years ago
Apply for this job
Are you excited about influencing engineering decisions and writing production code that will definitely be used by millions of passionate users?
Are you excited about being part of a tech startup that's grounded in social cause and early education?
Then we want YOU to join our engineering team!
As an Intermediate Mobile Software Engineer with HiMama, you will have the opportunity to make a big impact on a growing product with a wide and varied feature set. From developing new features to thousands of users, exploring growth hacking strategies, ground-up engineering on brand-new mobile architecture, and performance optimization on both Android and iOS platforms, our small team does it ALL.
You will be joining a new and fast growing mobile team at HiMama, with tons of opportunities to make huge technical and team impact in the years to come.
Engineering at HiMama requires being an adept problem solver that is hard working and motivated to get stuff done. Hustle is what this company was built on.
HiMama has three main products: Tablet apps for teachers, desktop web application for owners, and mobile apps for parents. We bring all three products together to empower preschool teachers to connect with parents and engage them in children’s learning and development, and help owners streamline running their business. And so you'll also be looking to make an impact on the world beyond dollars and cents– working with a social enterprise you will personally have the opportunity to improve outcomes for tens of thousands of children in Canada, the U.S. and abroad.
What You'll Be Doing
- Develop high performance code for our new React Native applications (if you don't know React Native, don't worry, we'll help to get you up to speed)
- Independent research and selection of best tools / methods of implementation to solve problems
- Quality assurance and testing of own work
- Work along with the backend engineers, design and product teams to build and ship new features for our apps
- Deploy to both iOS and Android platforms
- Opportunity to contribute to product strategy / vision and user experience if interested
- And much more!
What We're Looking For - Minimum Qualifications
- Agile, competent programmer and problem solver
- Knowledgeable about newest trends and best practices / plugins
- Ambition to work hard in order to make an impact
- Evidence of independence and self-starter attitude
- Propensity to always want to learn and improve
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) from an accredited University
Required Technical Skills
- Ability to work across the entire mobile stack (we don't pigeonhole here!)
- 3+ years professional experience with native mobile development (Objective-C, Swift, Java, Kotlin) OR with a front-end framework (such as React or similar)
- Experience with native mobile development (Objective-C, Swift, Java, Kotlin)
- Experience with Typescript
- Experience with React or React Native
- Experience with State management with React Context, Redux, React Hooks
- Experience integrating with GraphQL services
• You get to go to work everyday to promote a product that helps improve the development of thousands of young children between the ages of zero to five!
• These days we are fully remotely located as we adjust to the pandemic
• When we’re not working from home, HiMama has a fun and friendly office environment at Bloor & Church
• Health benefits package includes medical, dental and vision (100% Employer Covered Premiums)
• Three (3) weeks of Vacation Pay
• Three (3) paid Personal days/year (separate from paid sick days)
• One (1) paid Volunteer day per year
• Additional paid time off during the December holiday season
• You can take advantage of our remote Home Office expense program to deck out your home office
• You’re joining a Bcorp meaning that as a business, HiMama meets the highest standards of verified social performance, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose
• Opportunities for learning, mentorship and professional development
• Ongoing team-wide and company-wide virtual social activities and success celebrations
HiMama is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We are dedicated to providing access for all people with disabilities and neurodiverse people. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. If you require accommodations at any step of the application or interview process, please indicate so under the "Accommodations Question" box on your application. Accommodations may include: an accessible interview location for people with mobility impairments, alternative method of communication for hearing or speech impairments, providing a detailed "what to expect" for autistic people, or modified testing for a person with a learning disability
Commitment to Diversity
Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging are central to HiMama's core values. HiMama aims to ensure we provide a safe environment for everyone to thrive while bringing their authentic selves to work. Our mission is to promote an inclusive work space for all employees through Education, Discussion, and Celebration of our differences. Embracing these differences while coming together with a common purpose is what makes our team extra special. Our focus on inclusion and belonging is activated in the day-to-day culture at HiMama through our Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging (DIBS) committee, our bi-weekly DIBS discussions, DIBS Slack community, D&I training and education, volunteer days, donation matching, and more.