We’re looking for a Senior React
Developer ready to help grow our platform and build out strong solutions. The role is heavily focused on front-end development, with the opportunity to keep your back-end skills fresh from time to time.
A little about Vanilla
We are passionate pioneers in Community Software. We believe everybody should have a voice, and that communities are amazing places for people to come together to collaborate, communicate and share. We work hard every day to help our customers build thriving communities around their customers, products and services.
Vanilla is used to power tens of thousands of communities around the world and, because we believe in collaboration and transparency, the vast majority of our code has been open-source from day one. We create value on top of our outstanding open-source product with a SaaS offering that allows us to keep growing steadily and organically at a fast pace while preserving our entrepreneurial spirit. Vanilla Cloud proudly serves almost 8 billion requests a month for more than 50 million unique visitors worldwide.
Founded and managed mainly by devs, we speak your language, because it is our language. We embrace the Agile mindset, and the pursuit of continuous improvement is a fundamental part of our culture. We believe in simplicity and we keep our organization as flat as possible. We do Scrum, we do Kanban, we keep it Lean.
This is a full-time position and we are open to remote
candidates within Canada, now and after the pandemic has ended.
At Vanilla, you can expect to
- Work in a multidisciplinary agile team to build and maintain features.
- Write code with proper testing and review code of fellow teammates.
- Triage and fix bugs.
- Work closely with our back-end developers, designers and product manager to build thoughtful and polished features.
- Create consistent and powerful frontend APIs for our dynamic theming engine to serve other software developers using our product.
- Use modern technologies and frameworks like Typescript, React, Emotion and the latest web standards to develop large frontend applications that scale to serve millions of users and perform well on all kinds of devices and platforms.
- Work with our design team to help evolve our theming capabilities and contribute to our shared component libraries in a robust and maintainable way.
- Work primarily within the scope of your team, but you’ll also belong to the guild of your craft to enhance the quality and understanding of it through mentorship and sharing experiences. Guilds are a great place to propose new or updated coding practices, suggest improvements to the architecture and otherwise empower people with knowledge to improve their everyday work.
If you identify with these values, you could be a great fit
- You care about the people around you and the impact you make on others and on the business.
- You like to collaborate but are comfortable working independently, taking the initiative to learn when faced with challenges.
- You are always looking for ways to innovate and improve yourself and your team, and you are happy to share your ideas.
- You like to jump in, roll up your sleeves and take ownership of your work, and you believe strongly in building trust through being highly accountable.
- You can collaborate with other disciplines across engineering, design, and product, demonstrating mastery of your discipline.
- You believe in the power of feedback for self-improvement, and you proactively solicit it and are able to provide it to others effectively.
- You maintain high standards of software quality by exhibiting good practices and habits.
You may be a Senior React Developer for us if you are acquainted and experienced with most of the following concepts
- Agile values and principles.
- OOP. SOLID. KISS. DRY.
- A strong eye for polished and consistent designs.
- Dealing with race conditions.
- Dealing with scalability issues.
- Deep understanding of state management, to fetch and handle data in our applications.
- Dealing with security and vulnerabilities issues.
...and you possess the following knowledge and skills
- 7+ years of professional web development experience.
- 3+ years of experience withReact with state management, like Redux (or similar libraries).
- 3+ years of experience withModular/Pluggable architecture.
- 3+ years of experience with REST API architecture.
- 3+ years of experience withTesting framework (Jest, MochaJs, Karma or similar).
- Experienced breaking down complex tasks.
- Experience with writing accessible & cross-browser compatible frontend UI with standards-compliant HTML and CSS.
- You have strong written & verbal English language skills.
These are just a plus
- Agile process (Scrum, Kanban or other).
- Using or moderating online communities/discussion forums.
- Experience with macOS, Linux and Docker.
- Proficiency using git.
- Experience working with PHP/MySQL with a major OOP framework.
Culture & Benefits
Vanilla offers group health and dental insurance as well as a fitness stipend. The Team enjoy’s flexible hours, WFH, competitive salaries, annual bonus programs, generous time-off policies and annual gatherings and retreats (when permitted). We are a growing company that promotes skills and career development by funding courses, conferences and other training & development materials and events.
Vanilla Forums Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are not able to assist with relocation or work permit applications for this role.