Director of Engineering
Hello. We are ShipHero (https://shiphero.com). We have built a software platform entrusted by hundreds of ecommerce companies, large and small to run their operations. Many of our customers sell on Shopify and/or Amazon. We’re driven to help our customers grow their businesses, by providing a platform that solves complex problems, and is engineered to be reliable and fast. We are obsessed with building great technology, that is beautiful and easy to use. Our culture also reflects our ethos and belief that by bringing passionate, talented and great people together - you can do great things.
Our team is remote, with most of our engineers either in New York or Argentina (BS AS and Mar del Plata). We do daily stand-ups via Google Hangouts and communicate regularly using video chat and Slack.
We are seeking a director of engineering for our mobile and web apps team. You would be a fundamental member of the team focusing on building a solid foundation for the platform. We seek people who are excited and driven to grow with the experience of working with talented engineers. We are obsessed with disrupting an industry that desperately needs it, by continuing to build tools that help make our customers do great things.
You will work with our VP of engineering and existing 5 front end engineers and grow the team to 15-20 engineers over the next year. You will have fantastic back end teams, UX and QA to work with.
We are hiring engineers in American timezones only for right now.
- You understand that great things are accomplished when teams work together.
- Some experience with Electron and AWS services (especially AppSync) would be a bonus.
- You can code review other team members work and provide assistance and appreciate feedback.
- You take pride in your craft.
- You’ve learned from building systems and solutions the reasons to avoid technical debt, and how to approach and implement TDD and CI practices.
- You can craft elegant solutions when solving complex features and solutions.
- You’ve worked on eCommerce solutions.
- You want to build something that is disrupting an entire industry.
- While hands on experience is not a requirement, you’re interested in learning how to apply machine learning and AI technologies and tools.
- You can handle a fast paced environment.
- You’ve made a lot of mistakes, and most importantly, have learned from them.
- You're looking to grow and lead a great team.
- Be the leader, inspirer and motivator for your team.
- Identify new talent (hire) and nurture existing team members.
- Implement best practices that help guide the team.
- Build trust and strong relationships with other team leads.
- Perform annual reviews.
- Review features and requirements and guide, design and implement solutions.
- Understand business requirements and think through solutions in terms of not just the coding implementation but also how the solution fits into the solution and how it solves a customer need.
- Ability to estimate effort and ship on agreed schedule. Comfortable pushing yourself and your team members when challenges pop up.
- Lead regular code reviews, with the goal of code quality, good design and approach along with pushing engineers to improve and evolve.
- Implement solutions that are pragmatic to get the platform built.
- Work with ShipHero leadership to implement practices and principles for the team.