Who we are
M1 is a young, rapidly growing company revolutionizing personal finance. The current tools used to invest, borrow, or spend your money are woefully undershooting what’s possible -- so we have created a new generation of investment and banking tools that will entirely reinvent how people interact with their money.
Our signature product is a beautiful, one-of-a-kind, free investing platform. People can easily create and automate their investments, borrow against a flexible portfolio line of credit, and soon, use M1 as their bank -- creating a finance experience that is totally new and incredibly exciting. There has never been an easier, more convenient, or less expensive way to control all aspects of your finances.
We manage hundreds of millions of dollars and are signing up thousands of new customers each week. But we are not done! We have ambitious plans to take on an entrenched, aging industry. Join us and help build the future of personal finance.
What we’re looking for
We are a team of driven engineers committed to executing a clear and exciting vision. We adopt an iterative approach, believe in continuous improvement, and embrace first-principles thinking. While we value creative dissent in problem solving and eschew the idea of adopting a solution just because "it has always been done that way," we also believe in respect, support, and enabling each team members’ best contributions however we can. Everyone plays an integral part in developing our product and is empowered to make impactful decisions on features, architecture, and implementation.
- Detecting and preventing fraud
- Managing and executing trading
- Supporting daily banking and brokerage operations
- Facilitating M1's customer success team
- Generally make your coworkers' jobs easier!
We are looking for a passionate individual to join our team -- someone who realizes the value in code reviews, pair programming, and continuous self improvement; is unafraid to venture into undocumented territory; believes the most interesting problems do not have answers yet; shares our company vision, embodies our values, and also recognizes that software development is more than just a job, it is a craft.
What You’ll Do
- Contribute to the planning and development of new features in our internal applications
- Take ownership of medium-sized tasks with support from the rest of your team
- Build and maintain relationships with our users (your coworkers!) to better understand their needs
- Ship code to production often
- Seek ways to innovate and improve upon what already exists
- Collaborate closely with other members of the internal tools team and the rest of the backend engineering team
- Grow alongside an exciting, committed team of engineers who will always help you be your best
- 2+ years experience as a software developer
- Experience building complex applications with React and Node
- Proficiency using external APIs and REST endpoints
- Familiarity with Redux, GraphQL, and Flow/Typescript (preferred but not required)
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- General knowledge of investing and personal finance or the desire to learn
M1’s Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym