Apply for this job
About Grafana Labs:
Grafana Labs is the company behind Grafana - the de facto standard Open Source dashboarding tool for visualizing and analyzing metrics. Grafana is commonly used for infrastructure and application monitoring, but we've also seen installations to monitor things like beehives, power-plants, or even ambulances.
Grafana's mission is to democratize metrics: users can create dashboards that help them get insights into how their applications behave, enabling them to iterate, take action and improve faster. Commercially, Grafana Labs sells enterprise support plans and has a hosted metrics/logs offering.
We are a remote-first, globally-distributed, and family- & pet-friendly company (lots of us have kids, both of the human and fur-kind). Even if you are located near our office in Stockholm (or Berlin), working from home is both common and encouraged.
The team - Frontend Platform
You will be joining the Frontend Platform team. We’re an experienced team of 9 engineers (Torkel - founder of the Grafana project, being one of them) and expanding. We operate at the core of the Grafana open-source project: building a platform that enables other engineers create high quality features and, at the same time, contributing to making Grafana easier to use for everyone. We work largely with our community, triaging issues from them, and supporting the Community team here at Grafana Labs.
As a Frontend Engineer you will be working closely with the UX team and other engineering teams. Our backlog is quite diverse, so you may contribute to projects like solving navigation issues, implementing new ways of visualizing data, creating a top-notch plugins platform, and so forth. We also have room for you to bring your own ideas to the table; we hold weekly company-wide feedback sessions, frontend meetings, etc.
We look for teammates with the following skills:
- You are comfortable working in a remote-first company; communication is key. For us, working together means being collaborative, friendly, kind, and respectful. We operate by consensus, you can contribute to a discussion but then commit to the team decision.
- You are eager to learn and grow. We’re an experienced and growing team. There is a lot of room for growth and development, and the team has a lot of knowledge to share for those who are willing to learn.
- You enjoy being part of the community. Community is part of our core, and interacting with the community is a day-to-day thing for us.
- You have at least a couple of years of experience as a Software Engineer and feel comfortable working with React and Typescript. We’re a remote team working on a product used by millions - the ability to operate on your own is important.
- You approach development holistically. The team owns the full life cycle of our code; from writing design docs, to looking at community feedback, and testing. We appreciate engineers who enjoy looking at the big picture, but also notice the details of the brush strokes.
- You enjoy working on complex solutions – Grafana is a highly technological solution that has avid followers who rely on it every day. You should be able to deep-dive & troubleshoot modern web application issues and work with profilers, debuggers, and bundlers.
- You care and value code maintainability, readability and testing.
- Familiarity with Linux and any of Prometheus, Graphite, InfluxDB or Elasticsearch would all be a strong advantage.
- We work with React as our framework, Typescript, Redux, and RxJS
- We use Storybook to communicate internally and externally (e.g plugin developers can see what the component library looks like and offers)
- Emotion is our choice when it comes to styling, but there’s some SASS around too
- Webpack is our current bundler
Equal Opportunity Employer- At Grafana Labs we’re building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we’re working hard to make sure that’s the foundation of our organisation as we grow.