Niche is the leader in school search. Our mission is to make researching and enrolling in schools easy, transparent, and free. With in-depth profiles on every school and college in America, 140 million reviews and ratings, and powerful search tools, we help millions of people find the right school for them. We also help thousands of schools recruit more best-fit students, by highlighting what makes them great and making it easier to visit and apply.
Niche is all about finding where you belong, and that mission inspires how we operate every day. We want Niche to be a place where people truly enjoy working and can thrive professionally.
About the Role
We're looking for a Senior Mobile Engineer that will help us build and improve our mobile applications. You will also be responsible for mentoring other team members while helping to maintain and upgrade the frameworks, processes, and systems that support mobile development.
- Collaborate with designers to implement mockups with ReactNative
- Develop a robust and accessible experience for mobile devices
- Participate in code reviews and provide feedback on improving the code and coding practices as well as insight into potential impact of the code
- Generate and improve documentation of our applications, processes, and utilization of various frameworks and technologies
- Plan new features and improvements to the tech stack
- Champion the adoption of software engineering best practices within the team and organization
What You Will Do
During the 1st Month:
- Collaborate with various team members to learn about how your role fits within the team, the tech department, and Niche
- Shadow Front End team members to learn more about our tech stack, the products we support, and our development process
- Learn about our existing mobile app and plan improvements for it
- Begin shipping user-facing code that will be seen by millions of people
Within 3 Months:
- Join the mobile product team and begin working within an Agile development framework, collaborating with team members to break down and implement new features
- Solidify understanding of the breadth of our tech stack, including the capabilities of our back end services, how they interact with our user-facing applications, and how we validate and deploy new functionality to our production infrastructure
- Grow as a contributing member of a product team, providing input and insight to the rest of the team on challenges and feasibility of proposed development, as well as mentoring less experienced team members you may be paired with
- Take initiative in finding opportunities to provide thoughtful, constructive feedback to other team members through code reviews, pair programming, technical presentations to the team, etc.
Within 6 months:
- Confidently implement new functionality and fix bugs in the mobile app
- Identify areas for improvement in our codebase, researching best practices, and making recommendations to the team and external stakeholders on strategies to address them
- Serve as a subject matter expert for the mobile app
- Mentor other team members on best practices in relation to software development
What We Are Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, relevant training, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of professional web or mobile development
- Familiarity developing server-side applications
- Expertise with ReactNative
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices
- Experience planning the implementation of new features and technical improvements
- Full time, salaried position with competitive compensation
- Comprehensive health plan, including vision and dental, provided at no cost to the employee.
- 20 PTO days, 10 Paid Holidays and 3 Volunteer Days Off per year
- Parental leave
- Stock options and 401(k) with employer match
- Your ideas and work will make an immediate impact on our company and millions of users
Niche will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future for this opening.
Candidates only. No recruiters or agencies, please. All of our open positions are located in our Pittsburgh, PA office and we are also open to remote candidates. Sorry, we do not offer relocation assistance.
Niche is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
As interviews are being held remotely, if there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.