Wealthsimple is a financial services company on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by providing products and advice that are accessible and affordable. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost.
With over 1 million people using Wealthsimple products, we are the market leader in Canada, and we’re fast growing in the US and UK. Our team is working together to build one of the most innovative fintech companies in the world and we're looking for talented people who want to help us move fast, ship often and make a huge impact. Join us on our mission to make financial services simple and affordable for everyone!
We enable our engineering teams to ship high-quality work faster by providing them with the necessary packages and frameworks to deliver their best work. We achieve this by continually moving towards a standardized tech stack, removing legacy code and replacing it with new approaches, and sharing components and experiences across mobile and web. Ultimately this results in a seamless experience for Wealthsimple engineers that translates into delivering great experiences to our clients.
The Frontend Platform team is also responsible for frontend tooling and infrastructure. We are always looking to benefit from improvements in speed in our build, testing and release processes. This enables our own team to deliver high-quality work at a pace that best-serves the wider company.
Within 1 month, you’ll:
- Complete our company-wide onboarding program
- Meet other new Wealthsimplers in your onboarding group learning the foundations of Wealthsimple, our past, present, and future
- Gather an understanding of our technology by pair-programming with your teammates and attending engineering onboarding sessions designed and presented by your peers
- Have an assigned buddy within the Frontend Platform that will assist you in getting up-to-speed with our architecture and current projects
- Work with your team to ship your first tool or functionality
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Learn Wealthsimple’s technical stack and apply our development patterns through your work
- Buddy up for your first on-call rotation to help identify and resolve production issues and bugs clients have experienced
- Contribute and support work in a new or existing tool or framework and post your first #shipit 🚀!
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Reliably ship new tools and frameworks to the wider Engineering team
- Understand our existing systems and frontend architecture. You’ll be able to provide input that shapes these areas.
- Have taken your first solo on-call shift
- Develop a big picture perspective. Understanding how our tools and frameworks come together. You’ll feel comfortable contributing to various codebases
- Have participated in your first Engineers Without Borders initiative, embedding yourself in another engineering team to help them leverage the tools we have developed
Within 12 months, you’ll:
- Plan, scope and implement a new tool or framework. Our roadmap for 2021 includes projects such as CI speed improvements, migration of our frontends to Typescript, shared components between mobile and web, and more!
- Have provided leverage to our engineering teams by shipping new tools, enabling them to build robust products faster and better
- Participate in our hiring process and shape the growth of the Engineering team
- Have worked closely with our product and design teams, contributing your own feedback and opinions on design and UX
Skills we’re looking for:
- 3+ years of experience in software engineering, preferably in a frontend orientated team
- Experience with Frontend Technologies (TypeScript, React, React Native, Yarn, Webpack), Native Development (iOS or Android), and GraphQL
- Able to strike the correct balance between shipping new features and paying down technical debt
- Understands that new tech comes with cognitive overhead, understanding where to make trade-offs while still making improvements
- A passion for mentoring and coaching other engineers. We value making each other successful!
At Wealthsimple, we embrace diverse perspectives. We believe that getting to the best outcomes requires diverse perspectives and backgrounds. We create space where all voices can be heard so that we can all do our life's best work. We’re committed to openness, curiosity and creating an inclusive culture as we know that diverse teams build better products and generate better ideas. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.