Brainscape is a profitable, fast-growing, education startup with over 5 million registered users and a fully distributed team. Our mission is to simplify and accelerate the learning process via digital flashcards, adaptive algorithms, and cognitive science.
We seek a React Native engineer to develop our mobile app for both iOS and Android.
Your first project will replace an existing native iOS app with a React Native app. The new app will have mostly the same features as the native app, but with a new, modern UI that has been created via a rigorous design process. You won’t be starting from scratch, because we already have a React Native app for Android. It has many happy users, but lacks the features and polish of the older iOS app.
Once the native iOS app has been replaced, and we can release to both platforms simultaneously, you will continue to work on the React Native app across both platforms. You will suggest new user interactions and make existing interactions better with UI & UX improvements, and you will keep the mobile app in relative feature parity with the web app. We want the Brainscape app to be the best on the market. You should too.
This is a huge opportunity to create a very high-impact product, which will be used by a large and growing number of learners of all ages. We are excited to find the right passionate engineer for this position.
- Transform our simple Android-only React Native application into a cross-platform (iOS & Android) app that can replace our existing native iOS app, with feature parity, on an aggressive timeline
- Implement clean, attractive interfaces based on mock-ups generated by UX & UI designers
- Implement smooth interactions & animations to increase user engagement
- Suggest new features, UI improvements, and participate in technical design sessions
- Work with a small, remote team with tight communication & project management rigor
- Work with Q/A team to design manual and automated tests of the features you implement
- Bonus: Contribute with a passion for education, self-development, and/or habit-building
- At least five years of experience in software development
- At least one year of experience with React Native with live app(s)