About West Arete
We're a B Corporation building mission-critical custom software for higher education.
We believe that the best software comes from empathetic, knowledgeable developers working directly with subject matter experts.
We believe that life is too short to spend our working years on anything but projects that make a positive impact.
Here are some projects that we’ve worked on:
The Living Wage CalculatorThe design may not look like much, but it has a massive impact in government and corporate policy -- it helped to give thousands of employees a raise overnight.
Better Kid Care - This is the application that provides the online training for the bulk of the nation’s child care providers, teaching them about the safety, health, and development of our country’s children.
We're also a Catalyst partner of Internet2, the nation’s largest and fastest network that connects our country’s leading research institutions, powering everything from particle physics research to neurosurgery.
Skills & Requirements:
We're looking for someone with at least 4 years of experience in this field.
- Strong React Native
- Strong UI/UX
- Cross platform (iOS, Android)
- Experience with Expo (desired, but strength in JS and RN more important)
- Test-driven development experience is a plus.
Key Qualities & Responsibilities:
- Communicative. You work directly with informed product owners and play a primary role in project management.
- Confident. You're comfortable wading into the unknown.
- Savvy. You are quick to understand new models and concepts.
- Creative. You often spend more time designing an experience instead of writing code.
- Mentoring and apprenticing. You are continually learning and sharing your knowledge with others.
- Driven. You are intrinsically motivated to structure your own work in the way that you know you can do it best.
- Entrepreneurial. You will “fail” your own experiments and then improve.
- Versatile. You enjoy working on novel and rotating projects.
- Professional. You relentlessly improve software craftsmanship and client relationships.
- We believe that a diverse team of individuals is stronger than one with a homogenous world-view.
- We're 100% remote. Finding the best talent requires searching outside your zip code.
- We give our team a huge amount of personal flexibility to manage demanding work.
- We encourage extra-career-cular activities.
- Each individual plays a significant role in shaping the company.
The Usual Benefits:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- IRA Retirement Plan w/ 3% match
- 4 weeks Vacation Time
- 2 weeks Absent Time (for sick days and personal days)
- 5 Federal Holidays
- 2.5 Volunteer Days
- Parental Leave
- Term Life Insurance
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance
The Unusual Benefits:
- The Mandatory Sabbatical - Expect a fully-paid, fully-unplugged, mandatory 3-week sabbatical every year (yes, in addition to your vacation time) to pursue whatever personal dream you’d like.
- CHAMP - A small bonus program for those who set and complete personal fitness goals.
- Blacksmiths - A small bonus program for those who want to refine and improve the tools we use.
- COVID-19 Plan - Unlimited time-off if you contract COVID-19, which does not take from sick days or vacation PTO.
Help us look toward the future
We were one of the early firms to be using Ruby on Rails professionally, and we were pretty early on the Scrum, DevOps, and TDD bandwagons, too. Help us discover the next generation tools and techniques--and help us responsibly incorporate them into our projects.
We can't wait to meet you.