Full Stack Developer
Full-stack developer - React/Ruby
London (Oval), United Kingdom — though in the current climate work will begin remote
About Zen Educate
UK schools spend well over £2bn per year on covering short term absences with supply teachers. The current model is exclusively reliant on agencies that charge a massive commission and are terribly inefficient (everything is paper and phone-call based). We are consolidating this analogue, fragmented, and inefficient marketplace onto a digital platform. Think Uber for supply teachers. In the process, we'll pull hundreds of millions of waste out of the education system and have a huge positive impact on teachers and schools.
We are well-funded by high-profile investors, have had significant early traction, and are led by start-up veterans behind two of London's most prominent tech companies.
The product delivery team is a crucial part of how Zen is transforming the supply and recruitment experience for schools and generating the savings the education system needs. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to apply themselves for a great cause and with great responsibility and autonomy to shape the product for years to come.
What we are looking for:
A talented engineer looking to take their skills to the next level by joining a small, high-performing product delivery team in an agile environment.
What you’ll be doing:
- Picking up, owning and deploying new features from scratch across the web and native apps with react native
- Reviewing PRs and helping us improve our ways of working
- Investigating and tackling new challenges and responding to bugs
- Writing high quality, well-tested code
- Experience with Ruby, Ruby on Rails
- Experience using background workers such as Sidekiq
- Strong bias to test-driven development & test automation
- Experience with Git or other similar version control systems
- Knowledge of deploying to and managing cloud environments like Heroku
- A top performer that wants to be part of a high-performing, motivated team
- Growth mindset — dedicated to growing your skills as a professional
- Passion for work with a positive social impact
What's in it for you?
- Work that you want to talk about
- Competitive salary
- Ownership in the company
- 25 days of holiday
- Convenient Central London office with perks like fresh fruit, yoga classes, bike parking, showers and an on-site gym and café
- Flexible working including working from home
- Fun-loving, tight-knit team solving a problem that makes a difference
Additional info about the role:
- Small but growing company of 50 people and a product delivery team of 10 with 7 full-stack developers, designer, and 2 PMs
- We recently built a React Native app for our teachers and plan on building out features there and extending it to schools (who otherwise tend to use desktop more)
- Every improvement you make goes directly to saving schools money, paying teachers more and ultimately helping children get the best start they can