A bit about Newfront:
From the Mayflower to the moon landing, every venture relies on insurance. The $1 trillion insurance industry is fundamental to our economy and society, but remains stuck in the stone age. Incumbents rely on antiquated pen-and-paper process and there's a huge opportunity to transform it through technology. At Newfront, we're building software to supercharge insurance brokers and help them deliver a delightful experience to clients.
While we’re a technology-driven company, we believe that people and trusted relationships matter. Newfront believes in empowering people rather than "disrupting" them. Our singular mission is to create the future of work for this massive industry.
We believe breakout growth creates breakout opportunities and diversity drives innovation.
About the role
Newfront is looking for highly skilled engineers to help change the face of insurance by using technology to build incredible, unexpected, and delightful experiences for our clients.
We are looking for people who share our passion and belief that the best technology is simple, beautiful, accessible, and usable.
About the team
We build products for 3 user groups – our clients, brokers, and the servicing team.
Clients: We need to design a product that makes their current insurance coverage extremely clear and makes it quick and easy for them to request an update their coverage, get help, or make a claim.
Brokers: We want to help them turn leads into sales. Insurance brokers are like a sales team in a traditional SaaS company. They need a dashboard that clearly communicates the status of all of their clients, tracks their leads, and shows incoming revenue.
Servicing team: This team includes account managers and operations specialists responsible for providing stellar service to our clients.
What you'll work on
- Lead the development of product features: You'll be involved during product discovery and you'll contribute to the technical design process. You are product-minded and able to collaborate with a Product Manager to define the product roadmap and vision. You'll be responsible for speccing and guiding your team in building out features and infrastructure.
- Shape business processes: As Newfront is a technology-enabled brokerage, we are looking for new ways to improve business processes by using technology. You will become the expert on how an area of the business functions and work directly with stakeholders to build optimizations.
- Define technical direction: You will help shape the technical vision and roadmap for a large area of the product. You will also influence best practices and introduce new technologies when appropriate. You'll need to clearly communicate your vision with the team to gain support and a shared understanding of the technologies.
- Mentor other engineers: You will working with more junior engineers on your team to help them grow and develop their skills.
- 5+ years of engineering experience. You have previous success developing and shipping a large-scale application with a user-empathetic mindset
- 2+ years of experience leading an engineering team. You have proven abilities in providing technical direction for a small to medium team of engineers.
- You're product-minded. You take initiative to understand production intention, team goals, business context, and user problems to propose improvements, eliminate gaps, and reduce risk in the project. You contribute to and drive the teams roadmap with product and design. You meet with stakeholders across the company when needed to eliminate gaps in your knowledge. You work closely with design to make sure that a design is able to be built and that it has a logical system behind it.
- Security-minded. You have a detailed understanding of security protocols like OAuth2/OIDC/JWT. You understand client-side cookie authentication and JWT. You should have an understanding of front-end security risks and how to mitigate them.
- You have experience architecting complex front-end web applications. We use React/Next.js, but you might have experience with Ember or Angular. You understand the concepts of services, stores, state management, build tools, routing, testing, serverless functions, and API design. You might have experience working with micro front-end applications and you are able to discuss trade-offs when slicing up a front-end app. You have created frameworks and libraries to abstract away complexity in your application to amplify your impact across the team.
- You have some experience with micro-service/cloud and enterprise architecture patterns. You have an understanding of cloud architecture patterns, like pub-sub and BFF APIs, and are able to work with other engineers to discuss the trade-offs and benefits. While you might not be setting up these systems, you understand how they work, why they're used, and how they can impact front-end app performance, product requirements, and front-end code architecture.
- You have a strong understanding of design: You understand that as a front-end engineer it is your job to help uphold the quality of the product. You're aware that loss of quality is often death by a thousand cuts and you care when elements are a few pixels off. You're able to understand why particular interactions should be used and when and you're able to recommend particular UI patterns to solve user problems. You'll have contributed to or have built design systems in the past.
Some of the technologies we use:
Nice To Haves
- Proficiency with Typescript, React, Jest, and Next.js.
- Experience with styled-components or similar CSS-in-JS libraries.
- Understanding of containerization technologies such as Docker.
- Experience using Vercel to deploy applications.
- Experience with Node.js and/or serverless functions.
Newfront is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.