Global trade touches every human life - but very few know about the $2 trillion freight forwarding industry that makes trade possible.
Freight forwarders power this complex industry as brokers in charge of coordinating large shipments of goods. Most interactions between businesses that import and export goods and their chosen freight forwarders occur via spreadsheets, email, PDFs, and even paper, rather than via a centralized platform.
As our first front end engineer, you will help us build a modern shipping platform from the ground up to streamline and automate the freight procurement and payment workflows for the industry.
If we can capture just 3% of this $2 Trillion market, your code commits will revolutionize and bring pricing efficiency to global logistics.
Portex is a new, still-under-the-radar/stealth company. We're backed by prominent VCs including Susa Ventures (notable other portfolio members include Flexport and Robinhood) and strategic angels who have deep industry experience.
(Even if you don’t meet 100% of the below qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying if you are inspired by our mission.)
It’s an excellent time to join because:
- You’ll work as a thought partner directly with the CEO (ex-Flexport, ex-Uber) and our advisory team (ex-Uber, Airbnb, Flexport, KeepTruckin, Heroku).
- You’ll significantly influence the product roadmap as we scale.
- You’ll set best practices and the engineering team culture.
- As one of the first engineers, you will have a clean field to build everything from scratch.
Who you are professionally:
- You have 5+ years of professional experience as a software engineer in frontend development.
- You have experience with patterns of large, high-scale applications and leading decisions on architecture.
- You have deep experience with cross browser compatibility and performance optimization techniques.
- You possess strong skills in analyzing system logs and debugging web applications.
- You have experience building large applications with reusability and componentization in mind.
- You possess proficient knowledge of best practices for testing and version control.
Optional, but nice to have:
- Experience with one or more back-end technologies like Node.js, Golang, Python, or Java.
- You have experience building scalable APIs (Bonus points if with Node.js).
Who you are personally:
- You like to work in fast paced environments and wear a lot of hats.
- You are detail oriented and have a high dedication to quality.
- You have a strong product sense and can build engaging tech for b2b customers.
- You have a passion for problem-solving and navigating ambiguous problem spaces. You have an experimental approach and like data-driven decision making.
- You are a proactive team player who desires to positively impact our team, our product, and our customers.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to share/collaborate with peers.
- Healthcare benefits.
- Unlimited vacation policy.
- Remote first culture.
- Competitive compensation.
If you have any questions please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.