Design and build Citrine’s platform powering development & discovery of next-generation materials and chemicals.
At Citrine, we’re changing the way new materials are developed.
We are the industry leader in materials informatics, the application of data-driven methods to materials and chemicals development. Our platform provides data management and AI tools that help our customers rapidly develop better, more sustainable materials. Our users are scientists and engineers at huge manufacturing and materials companies, and researchers at leading universities and government labs. Our platform enables our users to accelerate the development of new materials.
In 2020 Citrine was recognized for technology innovation by the Global CleanTech Group and was named one of the most promising AI startups by CB Insights. As a team, we are ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, and eager to grow and learn from each other. Our team is growing fast and looking for the best to join us.
Though our technology was originally built by materials scientists, our team now consists of professionals trained in a diverse set of fields, including data science, physics, biology, and computer science. We have offices in the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and Pittsburgh, and our customers include Fortune 1000 materials and product companies.
Working at Citrine offers the rare opportunity to collaborate with applied scientists at the leading edge of statistical learning theory and application. Here are a few representative peer-reviewed publications describing research done at Citrine in support of the platform’s AI capabilities:
Can machine learning identify the next high-temperature superconductor? Examining extrapolation performance for materials discovery (2018). at https://doi.org/10.1039/C8ME00012C
About the Role
As a senior front end software engineer at Citrine, your expertise will make these outstanding features a tangible reality for our customers. While our scientific software developers focus on building new capabilities at the intersection of manufacturing and data science, your job will be putting these tools directly into users’ hands. You’ll create web applications to enable user interaction with machine learning models in creative ways, visualization software to let users interact with data in ways that spark scientific innovation, and design sensible solutions for displaying, organizing and searching structured data in ways that boost research productivity.
Being an early engineer at Citrine means you have the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the technology, culture, and quality of the engineering organization. Make your mark with technology that is changing how every physical product is designed, manufactured, and brought to market.
Projects you’ll work on
- The next-generation platform for empowering scientists with Citrine’s AI, guiding experimental design to accelerate discovery and lead to research breakthroughs.
- A system for sharing and managing massive amounts of materials data across an enterprise’s researchers, with the goal of fostering collaboration between scientists, reducing experimental waste, and aiding in the management of R&D projects.
- Complex analyses & visualizations that allow our users to gain deeper insights into their data.
What you’ll do
- Build front end services to support product features on the Citrine Platform that puts our core technology directly in the hands of scientists
- Deploy and support your software & infrastructure in production
- Collaborate closely with other engineers and designers, frequently reviewing code and discussing architecture
- Mentor other developers
- Design high-performance, scalable systems
- Test & analyze the impact and performance of your software
- Work in a multi-functional team on features from concept to delivery
- React, Redux, react-query,
- Typescript Tests/Design: Jest, Cypress, Cucumber, Typescript, Storybook
- Scala, Python, Node.js, Swagger, PostgreSQL, Redis, AWS DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, AWS Computer Services (EC2, ECS, Fargate, Lambda, Batch)
Skills and Qualifications
- 2+ years experience using React.js in a production setting
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- BS in Computer Science or similar technical field of study, or equivalent industry experience
- Experience iterating rapidly in an Agile environment
- Experience with Typescript or FlowExperience with visualization tools like d3, react-vis, plot.ly or similar
- Experience with modern testing strategies such as BDD and TDD
- Experience with Cypress testing for integration and end-to-end tests
- Excellent Linux fundamentals
- Familiarity with containerization / Docker
- Experience with modern CI/CD practice
- A background in a physical science
Citrine Informatics is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin.
Our Benefits (for exempt, full time employees based within the United States)
401k with matching up to 4% of salary
Medical, vision, dental insurance (we pay 100% of your premium and 75% of your dependents)
Equity options within the company
Flexible PTO on top of our 14 paid company holidays (includes your birthday!)
Free financial counseling
$250 tech allowance