Substack lets writers connect with their audience on their own terms
and earn money doing it. We make it simple for writers to publish to an email list that they own, get discovered on the web, and charge for subscriptions.
More than 100,000 people pay to subscribe to writers across the Substack network, and the top writers
are making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Substack’s model
depends on the success of writers using Substack – we only make money when they do.
“Substack makes it dead simple to start a newsletter and get paid for it.”
- Judd Legum, author of Popular Information
"Substack gives me a way to connect with my audience on my own terms.”
- Lyz Lenz, author of God Land and Men Yell At Me
Make something that matters
Great writing is valuable. By respecting the readers' time and intelligence, it earns their trust. It helps us make sense of, and change, the culture we live in. Building a better business model for writers means more great writing.
It’s also a big opportunity.
We're a team of writers and builders from Kik, Instagram, and some of the world’s top publications. Our investors include Y-Combinator, founders of Twitch and Zynga, and most recently Andreessen Horowitz
- Develop experiences that make Substack the best place for writers and for readers to connect
- Work directly with product leaders, designers, and stakeholders
- Take technical ownership of features and move the product forward
- Advance our front-end architecture and keep our systems maintainable and scalable
- We use: React, Node, Express, Postgres, Heroku
- Ship. You like to get things done.
- Take pride in building simple, beautiful products that create value for human beings.
- Can contribute across the full stack, but may have a deeper passion for some particular part - frontend, backend, etc.
- Lead. As an early employee, you will have a huge role shaping what Substack becomes.
- Have professional experience building production software