At Format, it’s our mission to help photographers seamlessly run and grow their business from end to end. Our product suite includes a website portfolio builder, an online store, client management tools and more. Tens of thousands of photographers from around the world use our platform to scale their businesses and make their operations more efficient.
We’re looking for a Front-End Developer who is looking to join a team where they can work with modern front-end technologies, learn from their peers, and make a big impact. If this sounds like your idea of fun, we'd love to meet you.
What you’ll be working on:
You’ll be working with our product teams to build and maintain web interfaces. Typically this entails taking high fidelity designs and technical requirements, consulting with the stakeholders to decide on solutions, and then working with your team to implement, test, and ship.
We’re interested in candidates with keen attention to detail and the ability to create a simple yet remarkable user experience. It’s important that you enjoy the challenges of implementing and iterating on user-facing interfaces and brainstorming creative solutions to software and UX problems.
Every member of our team is expected to ship top-notch work and take complete ownership of their responsibilities. In return, this is an incredible opportunity to get down into the trenches of a growing business and product, work with cutting-edge technologies, be immersed in seriously awesome company culture, and solve challenging problems daily.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Building and shipping: You love the satisfaction that comes from building software that strikes the perfect balance between simplicity, flexibility, and functionality. You continue to grow your knowledge, experience, and toolset to maximize your productivity, and you pride yourself on shipping high-quality software regularly.
- Consulting and estimating: You understand the unique use cases and challenges of building modern web applications. You’re adept at investigating and understanding your team’s requirements, flagging potential issues, and proposing creative solutions. You realize software estimation is a hard problem, but you’re well-versed in estimation approaches and you care deeply about delivering on your commitments.
- Managing requirements, dependencies, and scheduling: You have no problem balancing development commitments for multiple stakeholders, and you’re comfortable managing your own priorities and schedule.
- Fixing and improving: You’re passionate about continuously improving processes, systems, and codebases, and you’re vigilant about keeping a high bar of quality. When you see a problem, you want to fix it.
- Communicating: You’re clear, direct, and to the point, no matter whom you’re communicating with. You recognize that the quality of communication is what makes the difference between a good developer and a great one. Whether written or spoken, your colleagues value your ability to distill information into accurate and unambiguous language.
What we'd like to see in our ideal candidate
- What we'd like to see in our ideal candidate
- You have experience building complex web applications
- You understand and are comfortable developing and testing components in a modern web framework like React or Vue
- You know the DOM inside and out, including browser-specific quirks
- You can implement responsive layouts using multiple media queries
- You’re excited by the prospect of teaching yourself new technologies as needed
- You’ve used or are interested in learning about transpiled and templating languages such as Haml, SCSS, and CoffeeScript
- You can create modular, flexible, and maintainable CSS
- You’ve used or are interested in learning about modern CSS methodologies such as BEM and Atomic CSS
- You’ve used or are interested in learning about front-end testing tools such as Jest and Enzyme
- You understand MVC structured applications and how to use layouts, partials, and view helpers
- You’ve used or are interested in learning about REST and GraphQL APIs
- You’re very comfortable with git and understand commits, revisions, merging, and conflict resolution
- You have a strong eye for typography, colour, and layout
- You can transform design mockups into working software with close attention to detail
- You can contribute your experience to your team and help refine best practices
- You can accurately set and meet deadlines
Some Reasons Our Team Loves Working Here:
- We are remote-friendly with many team members distributed globally.
- We put a lot of emphasis on continuous professional development, and you’ll be paired with another more senior developer who you can work with and learn from on an ongoing basis.
- We strive to deliver a world-class experience for our customers by delivering exceptional work that we’re proud of.
- We emphasize a highly collaborative and egalitarian environment. Everyone builds things and collaborates across departments. The best solution can come from anywhere or anyone.
- We strive to create a work environment that reflects the diverse members we serve. This work and learning is constant and will never be done. That’s why we’ve embraced a refreshed approach to diversity and inclusion, where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
- We’re always growing our network of people, programs and tools all designed to help team members grow and manage their careers.
- We’re fierce defenders of a healthy work-life balance.
- We create culture building, social opportunities both for our local and remote teams.
- Respect, trust, and honesty. Personal and professional maturity is important to us, and we keep each other honest.
- We pay competitive salaries and have flexible vacation and work-from-home policies.
- We provide great benefits: extended health, dental, life, and disability.
- Though this can be a remote position, you're always welcome to our HQ located in Toronto’s up-and-coming Tech Hub, at the creative intersection of Liberty Village/Parkdale.
- We close our office the week between Christmas and New Years to give our team some much deserved time off with their friends and families.
- We have an amazing team that will be eager to help you succeed in your role and grow and develop in your career. Learn more about us: http://wayswework.io/features/format.
- We trust ourselves and our team to do what’s right. We empower each other and don’t micromanage.
The successful candidate must display Format’s values by:
- Making an Impact by moving fast, solving problems that matter and always striving to make things better.
- Acting with Care by showing respect, empathy, and kindness to your team and to yourself.
- Building Trust by keeping commitments, being reliable, and being accountable for your actions and the outcomes of your decisions.
- Simplifying by reducing complexity in everything you do.
How to apply:
If this sounds like the right place for you, then get in touch! We can’t wait to meet you.
To apply, please fill out the form below. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No recruiters, please.
Format is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a work environment that is both diverse and inclusive. All qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, creed, disability, or age. We are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring