It’s your chance to make a difference.
Carter is an experience design agency creating solutions for our extraordinary environmental, social and culturally conscious friends. We’d like a person with front-end development skills to join our Melbourne team.
We're known for being some of the most talented, creative thinkers in the industry - we're passionate about understanding clients, users, problems, executing innovative designs and thoughtful solutions.
Who you are
At Carter we are known for both our creative skills, our exceptional client management as well as having the most talented devs in the digital industry - Carter front-end devs are passionate about cutting the best code in town.
- A really good developer
- Passionate and driven to get better
- Want to do some good for the world
- Problem solver, and great at estimating how long you need to produce your development excellence
- Collaborative, positive, proactive and all about the people
- Great communicator when planning and building - written, verbal and visual
- Always pushing yourself and the greater team to create quality work
- Clinical in your attention to detail
- Across industry trends and technologies
- Oodles of experience. It's not all about the numbers, but you've been doing front-end development for 5 or more years
- Experience working on small and large interactive projects for web
What you do
Someone who wants to influence and grow their own development. You’re looking for a place where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests, and where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are.
- Developing new user-facing features and interfaces from scratch, or by using pre-existing components and styles
- You're organised, show up on time, self motivated and take deadlines seriously
- Maintaining existing sites and applications to the same standards they were built
- Optimise code for maximum speed and scalability
- Architecting solutions based on technical constraints and client requirements
- Ensuring the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Collaborating with internal teams
- You understand interaction design and have a passion for usability
- Clean, commented, team-aware code is second nature to you
- Not afraid to be yourself and voice your opinion when it matters
Specific skills you have
- A deep understanding of HTML5, CSS3, SASS, and are fluent in responsive development.
- Familiarity with build tools like Gulp, Grunt, and/or Webpack
- A good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX
- A solid understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them
- Proficiency with code versioning tools, such as Git
- A good understanding of SEO and accessibility principles and ensuring that solutions will adhere to them
- Some experience with one of the other heavyweight JS frameworks, like Angular, Vue, etc
- Experience developing WCAG compliant websites/applications for government clients (Level AA)
- Experience working with Expression Engine or Craft CMS
- Experience mentoring junior members of a front-end development team
- Exposure to some of the best clients and projects - Adobe, The Australian Ballet, Indigenous Business Australia, LaunchVic, The Heart Foundation, Black Dog Institute, City of Melbourne, MONA, Beyond Blue, innovative startups, + heaps more.
- Teaming with, and learning from ultra talented individuals
- 10 days working from home (or the beach) each year
- Flexible working hours for a healthy work/life balance
- Your birthday off
- Flexible working hours
Diversity of people brings diversity of ideas and thought, and we like that - a collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us and our work. We will provide you with diverse, inclusive environment to work with people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.