Due to growth at Vend, we are looking for experienced Senior Engineers to help us build our world-class product.
Vend is an award-winning, cloud based point of sale system. We have over 280 talented people across 5 major markets (US, CA, UK, NZ, AU) working to delight approximately 25,000 awesome retailers worldwide. We help our retailers build thriving businesses, live more fulfilling lives and create experiences that people love. We travel worldwide to research how other SaaS companies work, and implement the best bits. You won’t find a software company in New Zealand (at scale) whose stack and process is more modern than ours.
About our Engineering Department
- We build new features on top of a modern stack, consisting of web apps (in a mix of Angular & React) communicating through APIs to Go services, backed by databases and Kafka topics, all deployed using Docker in a continuous delivery cycle to AWS.
- You don’t need to have experience in any of our specific technologies: we’re great at teaching good engineers how to use our modern SaaS stack.
- We don't follow rigid Scrum or Kanban, but we do work in an agile, iterative way - we deploy changes multiple times a day to production and try to continuously improve and implement what works for us.
Here are some things you’ll be doing in the role (but not limited to):
- Writing code, code reviews, fixing bugs, incident and outage response, etc.
- Providing technical documentation for services.
- Defining, documenting and evolving best practices for development in your team’s area of focus.
Planning and communication
- Collaborating with other engineers, product managers and designers to help plan the work ahead.
- Understanding the problems to be solved, and breaking these down into small, actionable tasks.
- Estimating the size of specific tasks based on complexity and proactively communicating progress and schedule deviations.
Learning and helping others
- Attending or organising brown-bag lunches, engineer talks or meetups
- Helping new hires and more junior engineers to “level up” and become more proficient over time.
- Assisting other engineers with presentations, training sessions and documentation.
Why do you want to work at Vend?
- We are a Kiwi company winning on a global scale
- We offer a competitive remuneration and benefits package
- You can help build an amazing product and career in a company big enough for growth but lean enough to make a genuine impact
- Amazing leadership team here to help you succeed - Make a dent in the world, supported and extended by a leader that cares about you winning
- Bring your dog to work
- Generous Learning and development budget
- Flexibility to do your best work
- Secure, full time carpark… and great showers (if you cycle to work) plus good access to public transport.
- Vend is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values inclusion and diversity.
Mix Silicon Valley tech with kiwi culture, and we genuinely believe you get something truly special - click here to see what our team get up to. We’d encourage you to join our caring team who eagerly encourage and help each other to be exceptional.
So, what are we specifically looking for?
- You have significant experience in previous success and failure (“scars”), which help you make better decisions.
- Previous people leadership experience is ideal, or you’re ready to take the leap into team leadership.
- Significant experience in working on major systems in one or more languages.
- Experience within a similar industry is helpful but not crucial.
- Someone who is adaptable and knows how to build, change, and adapt to the needs of a company as it grows.
- Effective at nurturing relationships and managing multiple stakeholders.
Vend is an equal opportunity employer committed to welcoming those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our team includes women, men, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the university-educated, and people of a wide variety of nationalities, ethnicities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds.