Hello, we're Utility Warehouse
We believe anyone can sell you utilities. We stop you having to think about them.
We bundle together all your household services - gas, electricity, broadband, mobile and insurance - into one, great value monthly bill.
We're also one of the UK's biggest, home-grown success stories of the last 20 years - now a FTSE-250 business and knocking on the door of £1 billion in annual revenue. But we’re only just getting started...
A bit more about us
In two decades of phenomenal change and growth at UW, there are two things that have remained constant:
● We offer permanent peace of mind. People can switch once, be sure of great value, and never need to think about utilities again.
● We don't sell directly to people - we have 45,000 partners around the country who recommend our services to people they know.
And we give our people the platform to achieve both their professional and personal ambitions:
● We deliver quickly, keeping processes light and teams autonomous.
● We like to experiment, don’t appreciate big egos, and believe in debate, collaboration and learning.
● We want to operate in a less heavy way, reduce delays and make things simpler.
● We don’t believe in ivory tower leadership. Our leadership team are hands-on and roll up their sleeves to mentor and support.
● We care about how we deliver and who we work with. We enjoy working on interesting problems with smart people and understand that if it was easy, it wouldn't always be fun.
Technology at UW:
We want to use the best tools for the job, our teams have autonomy but also take responsibility for technology choices. We value decoupling and avoid vendor lock-in at every opportunity. Our systems are eventually consistent, event sourced, designed after our business domain and deployed in a distributed, micro architecture.
By popular choice we are primarily a golang house with frontend powered mostly by typescript rolled react/graphql duo; we like experimenting, there’s more rust and WASM coming up; but you will also find staples like python or java. We’re into cloud native and kubernetes, if it Dockerizes it fits, some examples include: cockroachdb, tikv, pql, mongo for storage; kafka, nats for brokers; thanos, grafana, graylog for instrumentation; kustomize, kube-applier, traefik for deployment and operations.
If it can be open- sourced, it shall. If we can submit a PR instead of building our own, we will. Getting your hands dirty from the top to the bottom of the stack isn’t a promise to be broken, it’s a requirement. If you’re only good at parts of it that’s okay, we’ll support you getting good at all of it.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for true technologists with a genuine interest in what they do day to day. If you're an open source contributor, hacker and wiz who loves to write code - great, so are we and we would love to hear from you!
We are interested in both specialists and generalists; we strongly believe in lean methodologies, autonomy, devops culture, cross discipline and above all in getting things done and out there in front of our customers.
That sounds great, but what will you be doing?
● Maintain and improve UW’s portfolio of customer facing applications
● Introduce functionality that improve customer experience and reduce costs of customer onboarding
● Build capability that enables other domain teams (such as Telco or Energy) to surface their features on customer facing applications like the Clubhouse mobile app
● Work with the Product Manager and UX designers to bridge the gap between requirements and technical implementation, taking an active role in defining how the application looks as well as how it works
● Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
● Advocate for great user experience
● Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies
● Contribute to our transformational work aligned with all the above
You’ll love working with us if you...
● If your interests span technologies from front end to linux containers you will find plenty to do here - if
you rather concentrate on architecture or react.js
then there's plenty of that too.
● enjoy and have experience of working in a consumer facing, highly visible, delivery-focused and fast
● are highly organised, professional and detail oriented
● are also pragmatic with an ability to see commercial, customer centric solutions
● obsess over the details but also love to paint a bigger picture
● know your strengths, and recognise there’s always more to learn
● appreciate and enjoy the challenges of working in the financial services regulatory ecosystem
● are an empathetic team player who collaborates closely with others
● embrace iteration and are comfortable with change
● are motivated and ambitious, both for yourself and the business you work for
Get in touch
If the role sounds like it was made for you, then do please get in touch.
And if it doesn’t but you still like the sound of UW, then drop us a line anyway - we’re hiring
in all sorts of
positions across the business.