Responsible for providing technical leadership to all aspects of UI engineering. Apply advanced knowledge of UI best practices to drive consistency and reliability across multiple product teams. As needed, mentor and grow fellow engineers by encouraging an environment open to sharing knowledge and learning from one another. Drive code quality and guide technical decision making. Provide creative thinking and deep understanding in UX definition and UI design.
- Apply problem solving skills and executes solutions to problems independently.
- Assist Product Owners in defining new features and translating technical requirements.
- Partner with Design and UX to scale frontend code and drive consistency across platforms.
- Prototype and develop new ideas and participate in all parts of the lifecycle from research to release.
- Provide technical leadership for product development and advancements in UI architecture evolution.
- Support and collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure consistent application of engineering best practices.
- Work closely with Product Management, UX and Design, giving input on what is both intuitive and feasible.
- Contribute to building a digital culture based on collaboration, inclusion, support, and constant improvement.
- Participate in, and lead, Communities of Practice in areas of development in which team members have particular interest.
- Proactively research and bring forth new technologies to improve product quality.
- Review the work of fellow engineers in a collegial fashion to ensure code quality and consistency.
- Continue to advance and mature Herman Miller’s design system technically.
- Drive change, including programs that improve developer productivity and reduce time to market.
- Performs additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Extensive experience developing scalable web applications with modern JS frameworks (React, Angular, etc.), as well as common front-end development tools (Babel, Webpack, NPM, Yarn).
- Experience building Server Side React (SSR) applications preferred.
- Experience developing within enterprise content management systems. Experience with ecommerce and ecommerce platforms. Salesforce Commerce Cloud preferred.
- Adobe Experience Manager highly preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of CDN and caching across the full application stack – back end and front end.
- Deep knowledge of modern web architectures and asynchronous service-to-service communication.
- Deep knowledge of SEO best practices.
- Deep knowledge of ADA compliance, WCAG standards, and practical application of concepts.
- Experience working within an Agile and Scrum based development model.
- Comfortable working on server-side and/or deeply collaborating with backend developers.
- Well versed with unit testing & debugging techniques, particularly with front-end code.
- Must be self-motivated, detail oriented, possess good analytical and problem-solving skills and function well in a self-directed, team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills, including professional presentation skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to perform all essential functions of the position with or without accommodations.